Computer playing sound through headphones and speakers

Croxion12

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
I have an Alienware Dell M17x R4, and today out of nowhere when i connected my headset, the pc played sound through both the headset and the speakers. I can't find anything on how to disable the speakers when my headset connects, i think it has something to do with the jack detection, but the thing is that the pc detects it because if it diden't, it woulden't play sound on the headset!? I have tried with different headsets, but the one i use is the Razer tiamat 7.1 if that helps, and i have tried multible different sound drivers, but the one i normaly use is the Sound Blaster Recon3Di.

Please help :(

- C

Solution
Go back into the "Sounds" in "Control Panel" and right click on the headphones. Then click "Properties". In the new window click the "Levels" tab. When you are done setting the levels, click "Apply" and then click "OK".
First, make sure your headphones are plugged in. Then...

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Sound".
2. Next Right click on the "Headphones" (or whatever it is calling them) on the "Playback" tab.
3. Click the "Set as Default Device".
4. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".

Croxion12

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015

There is only one problem, my headphones dosen't show up in the playback tab, only the speakers and the digital output show. Still the computer does give out sound through the headset aswell as the speakers.
Also, right now i'm trying out the Razer Surround Audio Controller software that came with the headset, but it's still the same. And all my drivers are updated and i have tryed reinstalling twice, diden't work :(

Croxion12

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
Ok... I fixed the problem with the computer playing through both the speakers and the headphones, i just deleted every driver both for sound and microphone and every program that involved anything with sound, then just restarted the pc and let it re-download everything.
But now, the sound on the headset is extremely low even when everything is at 100%. Why!?

Dickr947

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
I have the same problem. Only in my Sound Playback windows, both speakers and headphones show up at the same time as speakers/headpphones. There is no way to select the separately. When I plug in my headphones and select properties, then disable this device, the sound device goes away. If I unplug my headphones, the sound device is still gone. Any ideas?

Dickr947

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
I finally tried the most obvious. My new HP Spectre has a VERY stiff socket for the audio plug. It looks like it is in, but it is not quite fully seated. I pushed really hard, it seated properly, and the internal speakers cut out like they should. Success!

Feb 23, 2018

I have earbuds, and my computer doesn't detect them as a separate output device... Is there a similar way to solve this?