Solved! speakers: "the device you are configuring has been removed" (but it looks like it's there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkp13

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Hi, I've tried everything to fix this. After a Windows 11 update to my Lenovo Thinkbook 14-IIL, Realtek sound stopped working.

I did a system restore before the update. Nothing happened.

I did the full list of about a dozen items that Windows tells you to do. Nothing happened.

I removed the Realtek driver and manually reinstalled the driver. Nothing.

When I ran the audio trouble shooter, it said "speakers: "the device you are configuring has been removed" (but it looks like it's there). It looks like the speakers are there in the device manager, and it looks like they are there when you open the settings (there's nothing to enable, because it's running). When I restart, nothing happens (whether the device or the computer).

Finally I reinstalled Windows, and nothing happened.

So...is something just broken? I've tried everything I can find and nothing looks like you'd expect to see it, if it's a working device that's been disabled.

Ideas? Thanks so much.

Solution
I really appreciate the help. I looked on Lenovo's website to find an older version. The one that's been working all this time is one that was released Feb 2021.

Audio Driver (Realtek, Fortemedia, Dolby) for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkBook 14-IIL, ThinkBook 15-IIL

That's well over a year ago. I suppose some Windows 11 updates might have broken it? But when I reversed the latest update, it didn't make the driver work either.

Maybe the sound failed in a different way? If that's the case, and it's not just a driver issue, is there some kind of cheap external device that might make it work again until I solve the problem?
How did you reverse it?
The best way I found, when possible, is to right-click the driver in Device Manager...

mrmike16

Honorable
If there is an older version of the driver, try it. Download the driver, disconnect your computer from the Internet, uninstall the current driver from Device Manager, and install the older one and see what happens.

The most probable cause is a lack of compatibility with Windows 11. Realtek needs to release a driver designed for the Windows 11 operating system, and if the one you are using is for Windows 11, then they need to fix it. That's another thing- When downloading the driver, make sure it is from Lenovo's website and Windows 11 is selected.

bkp13

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
If there is an older version of the driver, try it. Download the driver, disconnect your computer from the Internet, uninstall the current driver from Device Manager, and install the older one and see what happens.

The most probable cause is a lack of compatibility with Windows 11. Realtek needs to release a driver designed for the Windows 11 operating system, and if the one you are using is for Windows 11, then they need to fix it. That's another thing- When downloading the driver, make sure it is from Lenovo's website and Windows 11 is selected.

I tried the one from the Lenovo website for my laptop, and there's not one for Win 11; the one I used said was for Win 10, because that's what I'd been using. Unfortunately when I went on Lenovo I didn't see any older options. What's the best way to find an older one?

mrmike16

Honorable
I tried the one from the Lenovo website for my laptop, and there's not one for Win 11; the one I used said was for Win 10, because that's what I'd been using. Unfortunately when I went on Lenovo I didn't see any older options. What's the best way to find an older one?
Usually the older ones are hidden. Look closely for anything that says something similar to "Version"- it may be a dropdown menu.
Otherwise maybe there is one at Realtek?
But yeah, the problem here is that they never even made a driver for Windows 11. It may be similar to Windows 10 but it is not the same OS.

bkp13

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Usually the older ones are hidden. Look closely for anything that says something similar to "Version"- it may be a dropdown menu.
Otherwise maybe there is one at Realtek?
But yeah, the problem here is that they never even made a driver for Windows 11. It may be similar to Windows 10 but it is not the same OS.

I really appreciate the help. I looked on Lenovo's website to find an older version. The one that's been working all this time is one that was released Feb 2021.

Audio Driver (Realtek, Fortemedia, Dolby) for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkBook 14-IIL, ThinkBook 15-IIL

That's well over a year ago. I suppose some Windows 11 updates might have broken it? But when I reversed the latest update, it didn't make the driver work either.

Maybe the sound failed in a different way? If that's the case, and it's not just a driver issue, is there some kind of cheap external device that might make it work again until I solve the problem?

mrmike16

Honorable

How did you reverse it?
The best way I found, when possible, is to right-click the driver in Device Manager, go to the driver's properties and reverse it from there.

If that doesn't work, what happens if you simply uninstall it? Maybe Windows would then install a basic audio driver.

As for an external device, for a laptop I have never checked but a quick Google/Bing search for "external audio card for laptops" will bring up some good and cheap results.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.