Question Computer sounds piping through the mic

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
So, I'm using Discord to voice chat while playing video games with my friends. For some reason, which I can't discover, all of my computer noises - youtube, discord, my games, etc, are being sent through my mic. I'm utilizing a four-wire headset with a splitter to traditional red-green connections on my tower.

I have already gone in to my mic settings and verified that my mic isn't marked with "listen to this device", though since that setting is supposed to do the opposite (let me listen to my own mic), and tests have concluded that it works the way it's supposed to, I'm not surprised that this was already off. I've gone in to the advanced settings for my mic and my headset and verified that both have their exclusive modes active but, again, since I know what those are supposed to do, I remain un-suprised that turning them off and on makes no difference. The headset works normally on a laptop, though the laptop has a four-wire connector rather than the traditional split set up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sep 7, 2020
Have you tried swapping the plugs going into the red and green? I've seen some cheap mic / headset dividers with the mic input (red on PC) and speaker output (green on PC) labeled incorrectly / reversed. Try plugging the RED MIC PLUG from splitter into the GREEN SPEAKER JACK on PC. Then plug the GREEN SPEAKER PLUG from splitter into the RED MIC JACK on PC. If everything works correctly after swapping the connections then do yourself a favor and MARK THE PLUGS CORRECTLY using red & green paint or nail polish.

Just noticed how old this question is but will post in case OP or others need guidance.