Computer to receiver distortion - Yamaha R-S202

sone.ted

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
I just purchased a Yamaha R-S202 receiver with the intention of using it as a computer speaker system, (I play games, music etc. all from the computer). I have plugged the stereo Y adapter into the computer and the left and right RCA into the Line 1 plugs. Sound plays but around 50% volume distortion starts to creep in until at 55-60% it is almost completely distorted.

Before this I had an older JBL stereo system and it had no problem handling the same sound levels. The JBL put out 60 watts total and the Yamaha puts out 140. I have attempted using all of the inputs and the Bluetooth and each results in the same distortion.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Ted

Solution

I assume that you are using the same speakers as with the JBL system and that the Y adapter is a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 female RCA plugs.
If you are turning the volume up with the PC that can overload the input on the receiver. Set that under where you hear distortion and turn the volume up on the receiver.
Does the radio in the receiver have the same problem? Maybe the receiver is bad?

sone.ted

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Thanks for you reply.

No the speakers are new but the issue occurs with both speakers and headphones. The adapter is a Stereo Pro Y with 2 female RCA plugs.

I have tried reducing the output from the computer but the same distortion occurs.

I will check out the FM on the receiver and see if the same problem occurs.

sone.ted

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Solved: Turns out that the problem lied with the headphones I was using. Last night I borrowed my daughter's headphones and the distortion did not occur so I purchased a new set and everything is fine.. For whatever reason they were able to operate on the JBL at higher volumes but not on the Yamaha, (maybe too much power?). My bad for not plugging in the speakers but if turned out necessary to find a different solution I tried to keep as much product in the original packaging unopened so the speakers were not installed, (btw they work perfectly).

So thanks for your suggestion but the issue lied with me.

Solution