Concept Collar Allows the Deaf to Groove

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Later, Podzuweit received an SMS.
"
Podzuweit: Slap an apple logo and double... no, triple the price. Call me.
"

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I know a deaf guy who loves to go to the clubs for the music. He likes the thundering bass and stands right in front of the speakers. Its quite funny because nobody stands next to him because its too loud. But he feels the beat for sure.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It's not a "so-called handicap". It IS a handicap, unlike others that claim they have a 'handicapped' but just somehow got their doctor to sign for a handicapped placard.

G

How about sticking to prototypes instead of concepts. I am interested in results rather than artist's renditions. Is it really necessary to release all these concepts?AKA futuristic drawings.

loltrevor

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this could reach much further then music could it not? If a dual microphone setup was used, the collar could translate sounds, noises, and speech into vibrations which someone who is deaf could be taught to understand.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I am sure that you didnt mean so-called handicap. I think you mean so-called stereotype. At least I hope that is what you meant cause if not you are just a d**k.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]loltrevor[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but this could reach much further then music could it not? If a dual microphone setup was used, the collar could translate sounds, noises, and speech into vibrations which someone who is deaf could be taught to understand.[/citation]

wow, or they could just talk with their hands. No moving parts, or batteries to die. Also you wouldnt have to learn a whole new language.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I saw something similar on PopSci, this might even be from the same person. The one in PopSci was as an alternate to the bass speaker.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
This is really awesome, I wonder how heavy metal will sound or "feel" on this? Its great to see that companies are not limiting the entertaining media to the average person, more companies should start paying attention to the blind, deaf, disabled etc.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
this was actually made like 20 years ago it was called the bone phone if i remember correctly,it was U shaped and you would wear it around your neck and worked on vibrations ,but nobody else could hear the music ,like headphones..i remember it being pretty expensive,but I thought it was remarkable

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Interesting, i wonder if this will actually get put into production, and if it deaf and hard of hearing people would find it usable and enjoyable. I know many hard of hearing people who use headphones because they can still sort of 'feel' certain parts of the music with them, im not sure if this work work as well or better for them.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I remember something similiar that I tried in '84 at a local Radio Shack, it was almost like the above buy longer with a bunch of speakers and a built in radio; was really quite cool. Anyone else remember it?

Status
Not open for further replies.