Concerned my PC has been compromised.

Allaeor

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Allow me to lay out the series of alarming events. I'm hopping back onto my PC and I log in from the lock screen. As soon as it's done booting up the UI I see the steam music player open. Now, I've never used the music player on steam, so it's strange that it would be open. Moreover, it's playing 99 liftballons, a song which I've never heard of that is not on my computer. On further inspection it's not really playing anything, the timer displays 0:00, when I try to close out it either doesn't or immediately reopens (can't remember precisely). Probably 12 seconds into logging back in my computer begins the shutdown sequence. Is this a freak glitch, or is my computer now part of someone's botnet? I haven't turned my computer back on yet since I'm not 100% on what's happened. I'm very careful with which software I install, so if my computer did acquired Mal ware through whatever this was, I'd imagine it's some obscure exploit, or a deliberate hack. Obviously I'm hoping it's just a bizarre glitch, so if anyone knows anything about an error like this happening with steam, let me know. Thanks.

Solution
This may help, have been using "republic of gamers" Game first III program. (free From Asus) It monitors my internet traffic. The interface is simple.
Also, take Steam out of the startup list. It will start automatically with the game.

1PW

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Hello Allaeor:

I would consider seeking the professional assistance of a Malware Removal Expert. Of the many good ones, I would strongly recommend you read the locked/pinned topics within:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

After you thoroughly understand what to expect, and what is expected from you, you may wish to open your own topic in:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

At the successful conclusion of your session, you would do well to re-evaluate the PC for system security shortcomings.

HTH

My suggestion would be to disconnect from your network, remove any attached hard drives (i.e., USB) and boot into safe mode.

Run your antivirus and antimalware if at all possible.

If you cannot get boot via safe mode, try booting with a recovery disk or usb stick.

See what you can do directly with only your computer. If you decide to use your network to go out to the internet first take all other devices off.

Containment!

dahuebner77

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
This may help, have been using "republic of gamers" Game first III program. (free From Asus) It monitors my internet traffic. The interface is simple.
Also, take Steam out of the startup list. It will start automatically with the game.

Solution