Congress Wants Answers Regarding iOS Apps and Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppelingcdm

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
"Wow sorry we got caught guys, next time we'll ask you for all your friends and families phone numbers." This crap all these big companies are trying to pull, (and getting away with it seems) not just Apple either, need to be dealt with. The day when we have nothing private from these big corporations is coming way too fast.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
" The two claim that if Apple did indeed approve such an app,"
There is no app in the store that is not approved by Apple. If there were, Cydia would need no jailbreaking.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Apple will now sue congress because of a patent they filed 40 years ago regarding the mechanisms by which you could or could not sue them regarding the privacy of things and other stuff no one understands.

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
This is precisely why I love my android phone.
Features that an app accesses, such as calling a phone number accessing the internet or even simple actions such as vibrating the phone, will always be displayed as features that will ask for your permission first, right before you install the app. These permissions are also listed inside the app's manifest xml file.

Why is congress wasting their time with this? There are much bigger issues to deal with such as Obama signing the ACTA treaty without congressional approval, overspending of the government, crushing deficit, &c.

How about focus on real issues not some companies privacy policy. If people don't like Apple's policies they can just get a Blackberry, Android, Windows Phone and so forth. But people don't have a choice when national issues are forced upon them so focus on those.

Oh, I know why. They hope to put real issues on the back burner and deal with non-issues that no one really cares about. That way whatever the outcome they don't risk losing any votes.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I can't get over how much of a screwed up country america is. They spend their time whinging about iOS policies when their country is falling apart due to over spending.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
The politicians caught on. Apple users are more concerned with their image and phones than they are with economy crippling national debt and government/corporate corruption.

G

This story is either stale or factually wrong.

"U.S. House Energy & Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman and Commerce Manufacturing and Trade Subcommittee Chair G.K. Butterfield"

These are two Democrats, and the Republicans control the house.

G

Hey zak_mckraken, you're a dumbass. Your citation to Wikipedia confirms my statement that Republicans control the house. According to Wikipedia, John Boehner is the Speaker. Unless Democrats voted for a Republican for speaker, Republican control the house. The Speaker appoints committee chairs.

Further, rather than citing Wikipedia, how about using the original source: http://energycommerce.house.gov/about/members.shtml

By the way, shouldn't you be in line at some medical facility waiting to see a doctor?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Wow, you just keep on shooting yourself in the foot? Your own link shows that both Republicans and Democrats seat at the committee and that Henry Waxman is a ranking member. He is indeed a chairman and he can write letters on the behalf of the committee. RTFA and the link to the original letter.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
"The letter also references a report claiming that app developers may store the contact details for Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison and Bill Gates. "

I thought Bill does not have apple products... Though, I suppose the citation may imply that the source could be from another user whom does, like a doctor or personal driver, for example, and that theirs contain his person info...

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
"The letter also references a report claiming that app developers may store the contact details for Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison and Bill Gates. "

I thought Bill does not have apple products... Though, I suppose the citation may imply that the source could be from another user whom does, like a doctor or personal driver, for example, and that theirs contain his person info...

G

www.house.gov shows neither of those members of congress as Chairmen. The error is in the piss-poor fact-checking by Toms staff and whatever piss-poor website they copied this article from (allthingsD). Internet news is a pathetic excuse for reporting, someone writes something without any research, then it's copied over and over and over until we're bitching about errors here....

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Apple is going to sue the government for questioning their ethics. Apple has a patent for that.
Hail Steve Handjobs for his lust of a communist world with one phone, computer, and tv manufacturer.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
With all the money stolen from its clan of clueless happy-go-lucky Zombies, iCrap grows more and more disgusting by the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS