Connect DAC(Ext stereo amp) to PC as a sound card?

LeeTaylorSP

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
Is there anyway to connect a stereo amp (DAC supported) to a PC where it's used as an external sound card. I'm trying to get around from having to buy an internal sound card for a media computer I want to build.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Sure. I have an old Onkyo hooked up to my pc. Use the line-out from the mobo to line-in on the amp for a full range signal. From there it's all upto the amp as to how speakers are dealt with, any Dolby or surround options etc.

LeeTaylorSP

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015

Thanks for responding. I have no technical expertise but I do understand what you have said. My understanding is, the 'audio input' on a desktop/laptop goes to an internal sound card.By default, most internal sound cards are 44/48KZ. I might have used the wrong term in my question when I said 'DAC supported'. When I talk to a sales rep at 'Best Buy', they have explained to me that even though the stereo amps don't say 'DAC', the amps use DAC for input on the amp. This would seem to be true to me for the fact that the specs rate the amps at 48, 96 and 192Kz on some of the external inputs on the amp. I know I can buy a quality sound card (approx $200) with 192Kz input/output. I was trying to avoid this to save money. I didn't know if there was a way for a PC to recognize the stereo amp as an external 'sound card'.

Solution

LeeTaylorSP

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your help. Lee