Connect my home entertainment

debamo10

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Please help I want to connect an older receiver a RCA RT2760 it doesnt have hdmi but does have a digital optical connection a Insignia tv that has two hdmi connect. one being an ARC/hdmi, an optical connect and etc. then a Samsung Blu Ray that is a HTS itself but just want to use it for the blu ray and use the RCA as the surround sound last but not least I also have to connect this with a Directtv Genie.

Solution
Check that your TV will pass surround sound in the TV menu. If it does then all your sources connect to the TV via HDMI. The TV optical audio out to the RCA.
There may be a problem with the BD/HTS. You can certainly connect it to the TV via HDMI for picture but it might not pass audio to the TV since it expects to handle the sound itself. If your HTS does Dolby TruHD then it also has the potential to give you better sound than the RCA which won't support lossless audio.
New TV + Old Receiver = Have TV do the video switching, let the old Receiver do the audio switching.

So for example you have a cable TV service, do:

Set-top box --- (HDMI) ----> TV
Set-top box --- (optical) ---> Receiver.

Now true, you will have to click remote once to change the TV, and a second click to change the Receiver.

Check that your TV will pass surround sound in the TV menu. If it does then all your sources connect to the TV via HDMI. The TV optical audio out to the RCA.
There may be a problem with the BD/HTS. You can certainly connect it to the TV via HDMI for picture but it might not pass audio to the TV since it expects to handle the sound itself. If your HTS does Dolby TruHD then it also has the potential to give you better sound than the RCA which won't support lossless audio.

Solution