Connect PC to tablet through router

Feb 13, 2018
I'm trying to connect my pc (windows 7) to an android tablet so I can communicate between them. But I'm having a hard time getting the specifics of the set up right and I don't have much network experience.

I have my the router connected over ethernet to the PC right now so I can configure it. I have the router broadcasting it's network, and the tablet is connected to it.

I can ping each device from the other, so I know they see each other on the network.

But I'm struggling trying to send "hello" from one to the other. I downloaded a tcp client to the tablet and have been trying to use putty on the pc in a telnet session. The connection is refused / fails.

I have read about needing to do port forwarding, but I'm not sure how to do that correctly. On the router I enabled port forwarding, and added to the list port range 23 for the pc's ip address. There is a place to enter the local port as well. I'm not sure if this should be 23? The protocol is specified as tcp.

On the android side, I can use a utility to scan for ports that are open, and there are 7.. but I'm not sure if I can use any of them, or if I need to open a new one.

Any help is appreciated

Feb 13, 2018

I need to send ascii strings back and forth between the devices. I'll have a c# program on the pc and that will send data to the tablet app and back.

So for example a drop down item is selected in the app and I need the text sent to the pc