Solved! Connect Projector to HiFi

Oct 15, 2018
Hi - I know variations of this query has been asked before, but I am not very tech minded and think I need some info specific to my set up if possible.

I recently bough a BenQ projector. So far I have played films/tv on it from/through my laptop. This works fine but so far I have just been using the projectors in built speaker for the sound which is pretty poor.

I have a fairly old HiFi with an amp which includes an AV and an Aux channel and thought I would be able to run the sound from the projector, through the amp and my hifi speakers. This doesn't work.

Im thinking either Im using the wrong connection or that I should be connecting the laptop to the hifi amp instead. If its the latter though I have no idea which cables Id need to use.

I can include pictures of the back of the projector/hifi or details of the laptop ports if that would help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer - Im not sure when I blinked and missed it but technology has left me well behind!

Solution
Some projectors won't pass audio from digital inputs like HDMI to an analog audio output.
You can just connect the laptop headphone output directly to the amp. Set that as your audio device rather than HDMI.
Oct 15, 2018

Hi thanks for this - the projector does have a single audio input and output as well as a further audio L and R (I took a picture of the back of it but can't work out how to insert it here). It seems strange it would have so many audio things in the back if none of them work, but if I can't connect through the projector I will give connecting the laptop to the hifi amp a go as you have suggested, thanks

For posting images, use image tags like so:

Code:
[img]image url (ending in .jpg, ,bmp, etc) goes here[/img]

For Example, this:

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ocgmSUB.jpg[/img]

Results in this:

ocgmSUB.jpg

-Wolf sends