Connect scanner to cell phone

ksraghavendra

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I need to somehow connect a Business card scanner to a Smartphone, may be Android/Windows/Symbian based. I need a 300+ dpi scan, so the quality achieved by a Cellphone camera is not good enough(in terms of pixels it may be enough, but a lot depends on the light quality when the pic is clicked, a steady hand, etc). It is required for field salesforce automation, where my sales team requires to scan a Business card & transmit it to the server immediately thru 3G.
The closest I could find was this-
http://www.planon.com/products/docupen/xseries
The cost is on the higher side, a business card scanner that connects to a PC thru USB costs $100+ but this one is nearly $300.
Anyone can suggest a way around? (other than all those smartphone apps which can run OCR on pics of business cards & add info to phonebook).

ksraghavendra

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Ya it is obvious that the Mobile would not recognize the scanner because of lack of driver support. My doubt is whether it is possible, atleast theoretically to establish a connection between the two, for example by creating drivers(I am not sure how difficult a task that is, but speaking theoretically). Or is there some other way of achieving similar results? Any ideas?