Connect smart TV to receiver w/no HDMI or ARC?

beachgirl2

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
How do I connect Samsung UN65MU630DFXZA TV w/HDMI and ARC to Rotel RSX-1055 receiver with no HDMI or ARC? Receiver does have digital input and output optical jacks.

beachgirl2

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

Thank you. I already have a cable and I'd already hooked it up that way. But I still got no sound when playing a DVD. The only way I could finally get it to play sound from my DVD player was to also hook my DVD player directly to the Rotel via a composite jack.

beachgirl2

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

There is an option on the TV audio menu for optical output, and I did select that, but was getting no sound from the DVD player. But now that I have the additional digital cable going directly from the DVD player to the Rotel, I get sound from the DVD whether I choose that option or the other one (which is TV speakers).

beachgirl2

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

I did select the optical output and still got no sound from the DVD player. However now that I've connected the DVD player directly to the Rotel via the digital composite jack, as soon as I put in a DVD, I get sound through the Rotel whether the TV audio is set to optical or to TV speakers.