Connect Subwoofer to PC and Bookshelf speakers

alexisvx

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Hi,
I am about to buy the Edifier R1280DB speakers which are already amplified.
How can I connect a sub my PC? I haven't bought the sub yet but will in the future.

I was thinking of connecting the speakers via optical and then the Sub on the RCA Central/Bass audio jack. Would that work?

I have an Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 motherboard which features the following HD Audio Jacks: Rear Speaker, Central/Bass, Line in, Front Speaker, Microphone, Optical SPDIF Out Port

My motherboard is: Asrock Z97 Extreme 4

thanks

Solution

Even if the software didn't like that, you'd have individual volume controls on the Front speakers, and the amplified Sub. Shouldn't be a concern.

dudio

Admirable
You can convert your 3.5mm output jacks of the motherboard to RCA with relatively cheap adapters.
You could hook the Green out to the Edifier speakers, and then a 3.5mm to single RCA out of the Orange to the Sub.. note that the sub would have to be powered/have it's own amplifier as well.

alexisvx

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Ok so if I understand correctly, I'll need to get an amplified Sub and hook up the speakers to Green and sub to Orange. Correct?
How about plugging the speakers via optical output and the Sub to the Orange. Is that the same thing?

dudio

Admirable
I'm not sure if you use the Digital Out for the front speakers you have, that the Analog Outputs still put out a signal (they likely do), or if that causes issues with you trying to set it up with the Window settings or thru the Realtek software. I know that the Analog approach will work. The worst you can do is be out a cable if you try it the other way as well if the software doesn't like that you're using both digital and analog out at the same time.

alexisvx

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I'll try the optical and see. I was only worried whether I would be able to easily add a sub in the future (I haven't bought the speakers yet). I read somewhere that the sub levels and speakers levels would need to be adjusted and it's not as easy as plug and play.

dudio

Admirable

Even if the software didn't like that, you'd have individual volume controls on the Front speakers, and the amplified Sub. Shouldn't be a concern.

Solution