Connected laptop adapter to low voltage power outlet, what's the worse that could happen?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ok so my brother is visiting the US carrying his Macbook which he bought here in India. The outlet voltage in my country ranges from 220v to 240v.
My brother connected his macbook to the indian adapter and the adapter to a US outlet rated at I suppose 110 V (I think, isn't that the norm in the US?) using a plug converter (one that doesnt affect the voltage).

He said that his laptop didnt turn on after. Now my bro isn't the most tech savvy (I'm quite sure either the batteries dead as well or he just didnt try turning it on with just the battery) and he thinks he fried his laptop. Is that even possible by connecting an adapter rated for higher voltage to a lower voltage outlet? Wouldn't the outlets wire melt as the adapter tries to draw more power?

Whats the worse thing that could happen to the laptop in his situation?

Thanks for the answers :)

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Hey yeah, I just realised that all the adapters I'm using are rated for 100v to 240v. It is off that his laptop didn't turn on. Could there be some other problem then? Because yesterday when he checked it at home it was working absolutely fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
I Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 1
F Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1