Solved! Connecting a 4g data dongle to a hard wired freeview box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2021
Hello

I have a friend who has a caravan and can not get a decent signal for telly.

He has a box that he likes but it does not have wifi and needs to be hardwired.

I have suggested that he needs a cheap data sim such as lebara and a usb dongle & router

My theory is the dongle feeds a box which has network ports so he than use it that way.

Is that feasible please

Also he bought a muama ryoko (but can not get it to work so is bringing it over) after pressing buy he found out it is £15 a month
for data so I am hoping to get a cheaper sim and get it to work.

That would only be for wifi though so I have suggested a chromecast with google tv as a last resort he does not watch films.

thanks

really interested in suggestions please

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Thanks for that.

I have TP_LINK TP-MR3220 that I used to use when I had a caravan with virgin media dongle and sim.

Is that the kind of thing you suggest?

I dropped my 4g sim into the dongle and the dongle flashed crazily, I then tried to log in 192.168.1.1 (no joy) used to be able to though.
Wi fi was recognised but the password was unknown to get into wi-fi so I have no idea if the hard wiring would have worked.

seems a shame to get him to buy one when I can donate this as I am never going to have a need for it.

appreciate any further thoughts.

Yes something like the TP Link 4G router will work along with an activated SIM, however you need to double check with the service provider as not all of the 4G routers work with...
Jun 6, 2021
Thanks for that.

I have TP_LINK TP-MR3220 that I used to use when I had a caravan with virgin media dongle and sim.

I dropped my 4g sim into the dongle and the dongle flashed crazily, I then tried to log in 192.168.1.1 (no joy) used to be able to though.
Wi fi was recognised but the password was unknown to get into wi-fi so I have no idea if the hard wiring would have worked.

seems a shame to get him to buy one when I can donate this as I am never going to have a need for it.

Not really sure what the setup is here, for portable internet to a device without wifi, you would need to get a 4G router with an ethernet port and use the 4G data SIM to activate the service on it.

Thanks for that.

Yes something like the TP Link 4G router will work along with an activated SIM, however you need to double check with the service provider as not all of the 4G routers work with all SIM cards.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.