Connecting a HT X710 samsung system to a PC

RancidRance

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
I have an old Samsung HT X710 home theatre system, with a DVD player that connects to the set of speakers. The DVD player no longer works and I was hoping I'd be able to connect the speakers to my PC. However I don't recognise the cable the speakers use, it looks like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-X710-Speaker-Connector-Various/dp/B00EYLPD7G

Is there a way to connect those speakers to the PC? Do I need to buy a sound card to do so? If so which one?

Solution

Correct.

The speakers don't have a regular audio jack cable, I don't see how that amplifier would be able to connect to them.
This is what you do: You take a pair of scissor, cut the connectors out, and remove the insulation from the 2 wires, and hook up those wires directly to the new amplifier. Not everything has to be done exactly as the vendor sold it to you.

I'd really like to avoiding having the use the DVD player just to get the speakers to work as it is heavy, large and would get in the way.
Well then I was going to suggest hookup PC to back of DVD player if it has a pair of...

RancidRance

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015

So if I bought that Amplifier, I would be able to connect it to my PC, and then use that to connect the PC to the speakers? The speakers don't have a regular audio jack cable, I don't see how that amplifier would be able to connect to them. I'd really like to avoiding having the use the DVD player just to get the speakers to work as it is heavy, large and would get in the way.

Correct.

The speakers don't have a regular audio jack cable, I don't see how that amplifier would be able to connect to them.
This is what you do: You take a pair of scissor, cut the connectors out, and remove the insulation from the 2 wires, and hook up those wires directly to the new amplifier. Not everything has to be done exactly as the vendor sold it to you.

I'd really like to avoiding having the use the DVD player just to get the speakers to work as it is heavy, large and would get in the way.
Well then I was going to suggest hookup PC to back of DVD player if it has a pair of LineIN/AUX connector, will save you the $$ of purchasing a new amplifier, but oh well, guess what option is out.

Another option is, IF THAT IS ALL YOU WANT TO DO, perhaps a pair of NEW self-powered speakers (amplifier built into speakers) maybe cheaper than buying an amplifier. Self-powered PC spacers are more popular and widely available in a wide range of budget, because they are so no-thinking.

Solution