Connecting a speaker to smart tv.

Jan 14, 2019
I have a samsung smart tv and I want to plug the digital optical out to an old stereo speaker with a 2 wire connection. How do I do that?

Jan 14, 2019
I got the adapter. The rca cable is 4 wire. How does that connect with a 2 wire speaker? I’m only connecting 1 speaker so I need both right and left output to a single speaker. I wish I could post a picture to show what I m trying to do.

boju

Distinguished
If youre able to identify positive and negative pair (hopefully colour coded) then you could twist the two positive wire together and twist the two negative wire together and insert to the speaker's positive and negative terminal.

boju

Distinguished
Can you link the adapter?

What tv model is it?

I'm guessing whats happening here is you're using the rca looking output from the tv but that is another version of digital optical. Need a toslink adapter that converts the signal.

I'll have a better understanding if you can provide those two things.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
This sounds like a terrible Idea, you are trying to connect an output designed to go into an amplifier directly to a speaker. Even if this adapter works it'll be very quiet. You need an amplifier. The headphone jack is a slightly better suggestion, but still is not designed to run a speaker.

boju

Distinguished
What model is the adapter and TV? thats what i was asking. There are different models and don't all work the same. So i can only guess.

Is external speaker enabled in the TV? Can the TV work with only external speaker? so you can raise the volume without destroying the TV speakers, im guessing theres hardly any volume sent to the speaker. Have you given power to the adapter? Double check connections are in the right places.

Probably best get a sound bar with optical inputs. They can be rather cheap.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
@boju & kereberos you can not run a speaker from a line level RCA output and it was never a good Idea to try. Those are very low levels and need an amplifier to drive a speaker. All the adapter does is chenge drom digital to analog it will not give enough power for a speaker. Perhaps you were thinking the speaker had a built in amplifier, but that's not what I'm getting from this.

A cheap soundbar or even a pair of PC speakers would be the simplest option, just make sure it has an input that matches the TVs output. Or now that you have the adapter you could use anything with a stereo RCA input.

Jan 14, 2019