connecting an old record player to marshall speaker

katstein17

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
Hello,

I appreciate any and all feedback as I have limited knowledge in electronics! I had an orthophonic high fidelity rca victor record player tuned up for my husband. It has a built in speaker in it and works great, but I brought a marshall stanmore speaker in thinking it would enhance the sound. Well, the cord that came with the speaker does not fit the connector on the record player. There is only one outlet on the record unit, so I didn't know if there was a different cord I could buy that would connect the record player to the speaker. Thanks again for reading and offering any advice!!

Solution

Depending on the model of the RCA Victor, it could have a RCA output plug(one for mono, two for stereo). Near the plug it might say "external speaker". If it has only one output, get a RCA "Y" cable. If it has 2 putputs, just run the RCA cables into the Marshall speakers. To tell you the truth though, I don't really think that speaker will improve the sound. Those RCA Victors have some good speakers in them.

katstein17

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
Yes, on the back of the unit, the plug reads, "stereo phonic sound/ auxiliary speakers/tape recorder".I appreciate you taking the time out to read my post and respond. I will look for an RCA Y cable and see if that does the trick! I agree with you, the sound is already nice...I guess I am just curious to see what it sounds like with a modern speaker:) Thank you so much.

katstein17

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
thee_prisoner, since the 3.5mm plug did not fit into the record player (the cord that came with the speaker), would you happen to know what size I should look for with the RCA Y cable?

Hi Katstein, if the back of the unit reads "stereophonic sound/ auxiliary speakers/tape recorder" that means it could be just an output plug(s) since it's stereo it should have two. The cable should look like this: http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-...eo-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1418276493&sr=1-18, looking at the Marshall site, they supply that cable.

Why it wouldn't fit, don't know since RCA invented the RCA cable standard. Maybe a picture is needed of the back of the unit and a model number to see if I can find a pic. I'm somewhat familiar with these and the ones I've seen work with a RCA plug. You could be confusing the 3.5mm plug with an RCA plug. They aren't the same. The link above shows the correct size.

Be seeing you, the Prisoner...

katstein17

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014

Yes, the 3.5mm cord came with the marshall unit and it didn't fit into the hole on the back of the unit. There is only one outlet on the player. I have pictures, but I didn't see where I could paste or attach them. The model number on the bottom of the unit is SHF-8, serial number RVG 025644.

And just so you know, I had posted this question on the antique radio forum as well. I appreciate your feedback and don't want you to think I am two-timing you!! I had just run across their site when I was googling stuff and thought some people on there might know a thing or two to help me out:) I put some pictures up there. I will put one of the outlet pictures up too.

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the model number. I was thinking it might one of the bigger console RCA's.

This type of cable is what you need. http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-03...=1418403420&sr=1-39&keywords=rca+male+y+cable The length is only 6" so might might look for a longer one as needed, but it has the correct plugs to give you an idea.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...

Solution

katstein17

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014

Awesome, I was looking on Amazon and found this cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI89D3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AQJ30SX0INWVM

Would that work? The subwoofer in the title is throwing me off, but I would rather have 3 feet rather than 6 inches. But if it is a totally different cord, I will go with the cable you sent a link to! Thanks!!

That will work just fine. I saw that cable also, but I was looking for something cheaper. It looks like a quality cable and doesn't cost too much. Post back when you get it and setup it up and tell me how it sounds!.

katstein17

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
That will work just fine. I saw that cable also, but I was looking for something cheaper. It looks like a quality cable and doesn't cost too much. Post back when you get it and setup it up and tell me how it sounds!.

[/quotemsg]

Sweet, thank you so much. I will be putting it in the cart today and checking it out around Christmas. I will be sure to update you. Thanks again!!