connecting blu-ray player to receiver

Rookie80

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
I have HDMI cables connected to the TV from both the Blu-ray player and the receiver, but I get no sound from the surround speakers when playing a disk. The only other output from the blu-ray player is a usb port. Do you think if I connect usb-usb from blu-ray to receiver, that will work?

Solution
You should have two HDMI cables connected: one from your BD player to the receiver as an input and the other from the receiver to your television as an output. If you have HD cable or satellite TV, you'd also have an HDMI connected from your box to the home theater receiver. The whole point in the home theater receiver as the central hub for all audio/video is to minimize the connections between it and your TV by using a single connection as HDMI.
on the back of most players now is a digital audio port that have a dust plug in it. if your unit does have this then pick up a cable and plug it into the reciver if it has the same port. if not you have to use the older audio out port to audio in on the reciver.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
When using HDMI how do you have it hooked up? Player > Receiver > TV? You did turn the Receiver to the same HDMI you had it plugged into right?

From my knowledge the USB port is a way to plug in like a thumb drive and play pictures or things off of that. It should work like I showed above. If you plug into HDMI 2, make sure you set the receiver to HDMI 2.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
You should have two HDMI cables connected: one from your BD player to the receiver as an input and the other from the receiver to your television as an output. If you have HD cable or satellite TV, you'd also have an HDMI connected from your box to the home theater receiver. The whole point in the home theater receiver as the central hub for all audio/video is to minimize the connections between it and your TV by using a single connection as HDMI.

Solution

Rookie80

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014

Ok the problem I was having is that both my satellite and my bd only have one hdmi each, the tv has 2, and the receiver obviously has many. So what would be the correct configuration to get them all working? Everyone is so helpful and you knowledge is much appreciated!!

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Using the config wolf gave, the TV would always stay on HDMI 1. You would need to select on the receiver which HDMI signal it passes to the TV. It might be 1 or 2, or Cab/Sat, DVD, etc. Depends on the receiver.