Connecting Computer Speakers to New Flat screen TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

topthink

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I bought a Vizio E65-E TV. It has two speakers onboard (2.0 sound) that I want to improve. This model has Optical Audio Out, RCA Audio Out (for 2.0), and it has HDMI-ARC out.

I own a 5.1 speaker set that was about as good as computer speakers could get at the time and I don't want them to go to waste...HOWEVER...these speakers have three 3.5mm out connectors.

I'd like to somehow configure (with an adaptor? or etc.?) the speakers to work with the TV.

My impression from initial research seems to be that I would get the most by using the HDMI-ARC out from the TV and using some sort of adaptor to connect it to the speakers...but what sort of adaptor? Am I even right here?

Thanks to any kind soul who can steer me in the right direction here. :)

Solution
Lol , been around a long time ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N8YEXLT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513014947&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=optical+to+5.1+surround+sound+converter&dpPl=1&dpID=51pCs8CbZsL&ref=plSrch

+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NH11H38/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513015097&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=optical+cable&psc=1

Those 2 items will let you connect the full speaker set to the tv.

A 5.1 signal should work flawlessly & it will upmix a stereo only signal to fill the whole speaker set but how good it sounds will depend on the audio itself.

topthink

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
...note, I read through a number of sort-of related items here on this site but none seem to be exactly on point. I'll continue to research this matter as I wait for any helpful tips.

Thanks again.

topthink

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Thanks. What is "simulated surround" or "speaker fill" if you don't mind me asking? I'll check on that model but I'm not at home right now...they were fabulous speakers...great clear sound...the base could shake the entire house if so desired.

topthink

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I called my wife and all she could see on the speakers were "Altec Lansing" and "THX"... I probably won't be able to get the exact model until later. Just from memory, and it probably doesn't make any difference, it's the usual 5.1 set up with LF, RF, LR, RR, Center, and base...the Base is huge...well over a foot tall...all the speakers plug into the base and the base has the three 3.5mm connectors (In :) )

topthink

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Mostly black. The base/subwoofer is all black with two round speakers on one side and the connectors on the other side. The five satellites are oblong...each in a black case with a silver-ish speaker grill/front. The four side speakers have one oblong speaker/grill with one smaller round speaker/grill...the front speaker has one larger oblong speaker with two smaller round ones.

They would look really Kool with the black TV...(edited to add this).

$_86.JPG

Sounds like the 995 (yours may not have the dell branding)

Lol , been around a long time ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N8YEXLT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513014947&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=optical+to+5.1+surround+sound+converter&dpPl=1&dpID=51pCs8CbZsL&ref=plSrch

+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NH11H38/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513015097&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=optical+cable&psc=1

Those 2 items will let you connect the full speaker set to the tv.

A 5.1 signal should work flawlessly & it will upmix a stereo only signal to fill the whole speaker set but how good it sounds will depend on the audio itself.

Solution

topthink

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Thank you...I'm going to order those parts now. I wish there were something more I could do for you.

I make my own computers nowadays so your Avatar really hits the spot. I've made about 10 now...for me, my wife, children, etc. I used to buy Dells back in the day.

Best wishes to you and your family and friends.

No worries mate, I'm a tech enthusiast & actually enjoy problem solving obscure cases like yours.

As a disclaimer though I cant vouch for the actual physical quality of that little dac to 5.1 analog box .
These kind of items are only available from obscure chinese & south korean manufacturers but it has semi decent reviews & is pretty much the only item I could find shy of $100.

As a bonus it has another optical input , a digital coax input & a 3.5mm jack so you could connect dvd,bluray,cable,sat boxes + portable mp3 players or phones to it with the right cables too.

Quite a handy little box as long as it doesnt blow up ;-)

You do have the original 3 x 3.5mm to 3.5mm 4 pin jack cables for your speaker set tjat were originally used to connect to pc etc??

You are going to need them.

topthink

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

I'm not sure what this is that you are referring to here. I have the connectors that were on the back of the subwoofer...which is merely the three 3.5mm connectors...I used those to connect to a sound card on my old computer...if that is what you are referring to, then yes, I still have them. To me, it looks like those plug straight into the Adapter that you referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.