Solved! Connecting headphones via wire to Samsung Smart Curved TV

philmscribe

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I have a Samsung 55" Curved Smart TV (UE55J6300) and am looking to connect a pair of headphones.

I know I can connect wirelessly using Bluetooth, but want an alternative in case there's an issue with audio lag (can't stand poorly synched dialogue/sound!)

I have checked the back of the TV and there is a 3.5mm socket with a headphones symbol next to it and this works but obviously the headphones lead isn't long enough, so firstly can anyone recommend a reliable extension lead? What exactly do I need?

Secondly, I wanted to double-check this was the BEST way to listen to the audio. There is also a DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) socket which currently links my TV to a soundbar, but I've heard this could possibly take the headphones via some kind of digital to analog converter. (Any help on this would be great.)

So of these two options, am I best sticking with the headphone socket or will the digital audio out socket provide me with better results?

Your knowledge and advice will be much appreciated.

Solution
I wouldn't worry about the quality of the extension cord unless you have expensive headphones with audiophile quality cable. Anything sturdy should be fine. One that is for musicians will likely be well made.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...d-3.5mm-trs-headphone-extension-cable-25-foot
Using the digital audio output would be possible but not simple. You would need to split the optical output so you can connect the soundbar and a DAC/headphone amp with a remote control for volume (the optical output is fixed). You would also have to change the audio to PCM which might affect how the soundbar works if it has some surround processing or a center channel.
I wouldn't worry about the quality of the extension cord unless you have expensive headphones with audiophile quality cable. Anything sturdy should be fine. One that is for musicians will likely be well made.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...d-3.5mm-trs-headphone-extension-cable-25-foot
Using the digital audio output would be possible but not simple. You would need to split the optical output so you can connect the soundbar and a DAC/headphone amp with a remote control for volume (the optical output is fixed). You would also have to change the audio to PCM which might affect how the soundbar works if it has some surround processing or a center channel.

Solution