Connecting my home theatre to both my PC and TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Telcontar

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Hi,

I have this Sony Home Theatre system:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDV-E4100-Speakers-Blue-Ray-Surround/dp/B00CGFWF50/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509824837&sr=8-7&keywords=sony+home+theatre+system

It is currently connected to my LG TV via HDMI ARC. The TV is also connected via HDMI to my PC. The PC is also connected via DP to a monitor. When I use the LG TV as the PC's display the audio works fine on the home theatre system. However, I'd like to also be able to use the home theatre as the PC's audio output (in 5.1) when I am using the monitor as the display (e.g. without using the TV as a display). Plugging the HDMI cable from the home theatre to my PC's HDMI ports (either motherboard or GPU) doesn't seem to work (no audio). My motherboard only has the 6 standard audio jacks. One potential solution I was thinking of would be to connect an HDMI cable from a PC HDMI port to something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Extractor-Optical-Converter-Splitter-DAC-1080P/dp/B01GH4MEYC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509822390&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi%2Baudio%2Bextractor&th=1

And then connect the splitter's SPDIF port to the home theatre's digital optical in port via an optical cable. Would that work and if not, what other possibilities do I have?
Thanks in advance.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Do you have a Sony TV or a TV with optical out on it tho?

Altho as above Tek managed to get it to work with a separate card

I dont have 2 speakers connected to the computer itself. So, the audio must be going through the HDMI cable to optical out on the TV through to the stereo

It maybe because the TV and stereo here support HDMI ARC why I get 5:1

I can get 5:1 through the TV when I switch the Audio to TV (it kills the sound completely on the TV, and goes through the stereo)

Wyrus

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I bought Sony dav-dz650 5.1 surround system at the end because it sounds better than e2100.

DZ650 has 1 HDMI output (ARC supported) and 1 optical input, same as e2100. My DZ650 is connected to my Sony TV(KDL-32W674A) with ARC supported HDMI. And my PC is connected to another HDMI port on the same TV.

TV audio is set to "audio system" so the sound comes out from my dz650. But on my PC speaker configuration in Windows 10 (right click speaker at lower right corner>playback devices>Sony TV>configuration). It only shows stereo.