connecting onkyo receiver to a new LG tv

Crazycornuts

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
I have a new LG smart tv and a onkyo ht-r640. I thought I would be able to just hook the hdmi and be good to go. Not the case.

TV>input>Hdmi 1

Onkyo>video 1

Video 1 digital input>hdmi1

The tv says no input connected and I've tried to use simple link to no avail same outcome.

Any help would bs awesome!

Solution
Eh? Please repeat what you are trying to do here. Where does your sound come from? A TV BOX, a Blu-ray?

This Receiver does not have ARC. You cannot simply connect one HDMI cable to the TV. All cables have to pass through the receiver.

TV BOX/ DVD -->>> HDMI Cable ->>> HDMI 1 or HDMI 2

HDMI OUT --->> HDMI CABLE ---> HDMI IN on the TV.

Anything else will not work. If you want to connect the new smart TV for Apps such as netflix, or OTA signals, then you will need to use the headhphone out, or an optical cable if your TV has one. If your tv has neither, you can't use your receiver for Apps, period.

What is your TV model number?
Generally you want ALL-HDMI connections, because this gives you maximum quality.

All components --- (HDMI) ---> Receiver ----(HDMI) ----> TV

If Receiver+TV both are ARC capable then you are all set, no further tinkering required, except maybe enabling ARC on both.

If ARC not available, you may need an additional, TV ---(Toslink)---> Receiver, to pass surround information.

Hello.

Is the TV connected to the HDMI OUT of the Onkyo? It does not go to HDMI 1 or 2, only the OUT goes to the TV. Like this:
kf747Ja.png

The HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 connect to a Cable/Sat box or a DVD/Blu-ray. HDMI OUT goes to the TV using an HDMI cable.

Yep...read the manual:
Note: The onscreen setup menus are not output by the HDMI OUT, so you’ll also need to make a composite video, S-Video, or component video connection to your TV

So you need to use either a Yellow RCA wire from MONITOR OUT, or a RED/GREEN/BLUE RCA wire from the COMPONENT OUT to have the onscreen.

Crazycornuts

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

Okay got that done and went to Hardware setup and turn (HMDI Audio Out) on. I have my TV set to ARC

And still no sound while watching tv

Eh? Please repeat what you are trying to do here. Where does your sound come from? A TV BOX, a Blu-ray?

This Receiver does not have ARC. You cannot simply connect one HDMI cable to the TV. All cables have to pass through the receiver.

TV BOX/ DVD -->>> HDMI Cable ->>> HDMI 1 or HDMI 2

HDMI OUT --->> HDMI CABLE ---> HDMI IN on the TV.

Anything else will not work. If you want to connect the new smart TV for Apps such as netflix, or OTA signals, then you will need to use the headhphone out, or an optical cable if your TV has one. If your tv has neither, you can't use your receiver for Apps, period.

What is your TV model number?

Solution

Crazycornuts

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

Okay yeah im trying netflix, so i need an optical cable then? gotcha Thank you so much and also for the quick replies guys definitely gonna frequent this site now

Yes, you will need to use an optical cable. ^^ Simply connect it from the TV directly in the receiver, and you will have sound from Netflix and everything else.

Just be sure to set the TV to PCM out in the audio settings if you do not have sound initially with an optical wire.

Glad we could help you. ^^ Have a great day, and have fun listening to your new TV!

TRENDING THREADS