Connecting Right Left and Center Speakers to a Reciever

Vertigoo

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
Hello,
My AV-Reciever model is: YAMAHA HTR-5240
I have attached photos of the back of the receiver (the connections),
and a photo of my remote control.

I also have two "Peerless AC-3 Series, Model SR-377" which are Surround speakers.
and a Peerless AC-3 Series, Model CT-377" Which is a Center speaker.

I would like to connect All the Three of the speakers to the receiver, using the surround speakers as the main left and right speakers (which works fine) and to connect the center speaker to the center channel.

I couldn't get this to work, i plugged in the receiver to my pc and trying to use realtek driver's to test the center channel, right and left worked fine but center didn't make any sound. I made sure 5.1 Surround was selected..

(I connected the center speaker to the right channel, and it worked fine so there isn't any problem with my center speaker)

What am I missing? How do I set this up?

Solution
The receiver may be shutting down due to a speaker that it can't drive because the impedance being too low or a speaker cable that has a short.
Disconnect the speakers at the receiver and see if it shuts down.
If it does then the receiver has a problem.
If it doesn't then connect the speakers one at a time to find the bad wire/speaker.

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
A speaker is just a speaker as far as testing goes. Connect one of the surround speakers to the center channel and retest for sound. Make sure the center channel volume on the receiver is turned up. Also, read the manual for your receiver...You might want to try an AC-3 mode instead of 5.1 (since you have 3 speakers, not 5 plus a sub).

Vertigoo

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015

I have read the service's manual for the HTR-5240 of YAMAHA
here's a link to it: https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf4/84/8390/838964-yamaha/rxv496.pdf?7659a68c1214e79e5126a730c75de164&take=binary

and i managed to open the menu, and there i managed to get sound to the center channel..
When navigating in the menu through the methods that the software provides i choose the option i want in the submenu and then proceed to the last method which has an option to exit the menu.. but I can't get the settings to save any idea?

another problem i noticed when testing with the new settings is that the receiver turns off after certain volume is set and it's not even that loud.. the receiver is pretty old so my question is if the receiver is faulty and i should get a new one? or there's sometihing to do about it?

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
If the receiver is turning itself off, then the unit is malfunctioning. You are likely seeing it heat up tp a dangerous operating point so that the system shuts down to prevent fires. I would look at buying a new receiver...

The receiver may be shutting down due to a speaker that it can't drive because the impedance being too low or a speaker cable that has a short.
Disconnect the speakers at the receiver and see if it shuts down.
If it does then the receiver has a problem.
If it doesn't then connect the speakers one at a time to find the bad wire/speaker.

Solution