connecting router to modem/router

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
how to connect a netgear router to a netgear modem/router?

i have a netgear c3700 router/modem connected now to the internet, but i have a bunch of cameras also and other wifi devices connected to this router and i get dropouts. so i got a netgear wifi router r6300 unit. but for the life of me i just can't get it connected. they have different ip addresses, i also turned off the dhcp on the r6300 unit so it would not try to assign addresses. i tried the internet port on the r6300 going to a port on the c3700 it would not let me connect to it. then i tried using a data port on both and i got online but my cameras would see the r6300 and some would connect but then i could not see them on my phone or tablets.

is there a video or good instructions that explain how to do this? or maybe someone here has connected these 2 devices and can help me connect them. i'm trying to take the load off the c3700 router so my devices will not drop out all the time. thanks

rashisaxsena

Great
Nov 27, 2018
Following Steps should follow for connecting router
1. Connect your modem to the internet port of the NETGEAR router and your computer to any of the four LAN ports.
2. Switch the computer, router, and broadband/cable modem, off and on again. Wait for them all to finish booting up.
3. Open a web browser and type the router's IP address in the address bar and press Enter.
4. Click Setup Wizard.
5. Select Yes and click Next.
6. Click Next. The router saves the settings.
7. (Optional) To check if you are connected to the internet, select Router Status under Maintenance.
8. Look at the IP Address field to see if you have a valid IP address

Hope this will helps you..
All the best!!

rgd1101

Don't

cite the source, don't just plagiarize
https://kb.netgear.com/119/How-to-configure-your-NETGEAR-router-for-cable-internet-connection-with-Smart-Wizard

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
thanks i did that but still did not work. that was what a you tube said to do also. so i just packed it back in the package i got it from and will tell the seller it is not working and send it back. also i'm tired of trying to get a modem and router connected so i just got a new r6300 router modem combo that is like the c3700 i now have and let's see if that works. being the new one is a combo unit and has more power and range i'm hoping it will resolve the issue of my cameras dropping out. the c3700 is a 8x4 and the r6300 is a 24x8 bonding so that should keep the cameras online more. thanks for the help

so i talked to my girl and her boyfriend is an it tech at a big company and he told her he would stop out and see if he can get this ne going.

i'm going to see if he can connect this one to the new modem/router i got if that does work and then put this r6300 unit in the garage as a bridge if that is the best way to connect them. now i have an extender out there, so this unit may give me more range in the yard as well. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
Following Steps should follow for connecting router
1. Connect your modem to the internet port of the NETGEAR router and your computer to any of the four LAN ports. ok connected the r6300 router via a cat5 cable using the yellow internet port to the c3700 router modem into that one's port 1.

2. Switch the computer, router, and broadband/cable modem, off and on again. Wait for them all to finish booting up. turned off a 3 units and left them off or a few minutes then turned them back on

3. Open a web browser and type the router's IP address in the address bar and press Enter. ok after the pc came back up o entered 192.168.1.1 and the logon and i got the r6300 page

4. Click Setup Wizard. went to advance tab and clicked on the setup wizzard and let yes was checked and i said nest enter.

5. Select Yes and click Next. did this yes and next enter

6. Click Next. The router saves the settings. did not get this option unless it was in step 5.

7. (Optional) To check if you are connected to the internet, select Router Status under Maintenance. went to administration tab under the advanced tab and then to router and it had info in it.
8. Look at the IP Address field to see if you have a valid IP address. i did not see any ip address other than the router 192.168.1.1 but ip checken gave me the c3700 ip still the same.

ok after all these steps done then 2 times i still can't connect to the internet thru the r6300 router. not on my wifi devices connect to the inter net using the r6300 router and the [c fails to connect uing the r6300 router. if i plug the cat cable back into the pc i get connected.

now with the pc on wifi it is using the c3700 wifi no cables connected to the router or modem. if i try to connect to the r6300 router it will not connect even using 192.168.1.1

and yes i did reset the r6300 router to factory settings before i tried any of these steps.

so did u use the wrong ports?

so these steps are not working. any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.