Connecting the laptop to my PC as a second monitor

doubleup46

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
MM-main monitor
LM-laptop monitor
So I wanted to make my laptop as a second monitor and connected a VGA from my laptop to my main monitor which is connected to my PC. Didn't worked so I tried to connect my MM to the laptop that was connected with an HDMI to the video card on my PC.And I tried several other ways of connecting it but none worked... I have to say that my video card only has an HDMI and a DVI-D port (which is covered by something so can't be used).Searched several tutorials on the web and threads and nothing worked.

Solution
Once you connect your MM to your laptop, and have both displays playing in an extended desktop configuration on your laptop, you can switch your MM as primary display through your laptop graphic card utility software, that way you'll have your MM as primary and your LM as secondary display.
what is your laptop graphic card or your laptop model number and brand ?

Update: By the way you only can make your laptop as a secondary monitor if driven by your laptop graphics, you can not add your laptop screen to your desktop display (because laptop monitor is linked to your laptop hardware)

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Once you connect your MM to your laptop, and have both displays playing in an extended desktop configuration on your laptop, you can switch your MM as primary display through your laptop graphic card utility software, that way you'll have your MM as primary and your LM as secondary display.
what is your laptop graphic card or your laptop model number and brand ?

Update: By the way you only can make your laptop as a secondary monitor if driven by your laptop graphics, you can not add your laptop screen to your desktop display (because laptop monitor is linked to your laptop hardware)

Solution

You can't do what you want the way you are doing it. The laptop video ports are OUTPUTS not INPUTS. And the ports on the monitor are INPUTS, just because you connect it all together does not mean it will send signals the way you want. The only way to use your laptop screen as a monitor for the desktop is to use a network video connection with software https://www.spacedesk.net/ Zonescreen

The "covered by something" DVI port is likely just a plastic protector you cant remove if you want to use that port. UNLESS, you have a system that came with an add-on video card, then vendors usually put the plastic covers over the motherboard video so people don't use them by accident instead of the video card.