Connection problems after malware removal

Matty8787

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Some Chinese Malware installed itself on my pc, I have no idea how or when but it caused mayhem, absolute mayhem.

Anyway I managed to get it off using Revo uninstaller as everything else brought it up in Chinese so I couldn't make it out.

Since removing it, I have ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender who both show up clean BUT the problem I am having is I can connect to webpages via windows edge (firefox is currently dead, won't respond at all) but none of my apps will connect.

Steam says unable to connect, as does GOG and all the other apps that require internet access also say this. I can't even download a new AV as they require updates to start the installation process.

What can I do? Worth doing a windows refresh?

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Can you ping websites? (command prompt, ping www.google.com) instead of accessing them?
same goes for any site that you cannot access with other browsers.
if not, I would blame firewall (if you use windows one, whose rules were possibly altered by said malware)
resetting windows firewall rules might help in that case.

It is also possible that the malware changed proxy settings on computer to make it connect through their things to inject ads, pop-ups and spy on passwords.

I'm no malware or virus expert but those two things are possibly worth checking.

I would highly suggest a full reformat and putting all your files in quarantine on a separate disk until you can scan for remaining issues. It'll be much faster and far safer than trying to actually clean a system with that many issues.

Matty8787

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Thanks for the answers guys.

I am currently back online, having run CMD and typing netsh winsock reset and then restarting seemed to fix the problem.

I am still getting the odd chinese popup but Panda has so far detected 9 problems on a full scan, so will let that finish before I see whats up.