Connection to modem with Ethernet cord

Queen7

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
I was told by internet tech from service provider TWC that my computer is not capable of high speed service since the light was yellow on the modem with Ethernet connection. The computer is an Hp and is probably 3 years old and I just upgraded to Windows 10. I am paying for 200 mbps and during a speed test only getting on average about 85 download 23 upload with what I thought was through a wired connection. So with a wired connection if my computer supposedly cannot connect to high speed then either the connection is not working at all or I am only using Wi-Fi?
Could there be something wrong with my computers capability to connect with high speed internet?

Solution
Hi,

I'm not sure if I would agree with the ISP tech from TWC because even an old PC 2-3 yrs old should be able to run 100 - 200 Mbps. To check weather you're connected wireless or wired right click on the network icon on the bottom right hand corner of your screen next to your clock and it should tell you those information. According to TWC article what you need is to upgrade your modem to get the speed you've opted for. Here's the article for your reference.

http://vrworld.com/2014/06/20/time-warner-cable-rolling-out-300-and-200-mbps-service-july-7th/
Hi,

I'm not sure if I would agree with the ISP tech from TWC because even an old PC 2-3 yrs old should be able to run 100 - 200 Mbps. To check weather you're connected wireless or wired right click on the network icon on the bottom right hand corner of your screen next to your clock and it should tell you those information. According to TWC article what you need is to upgrade your modem to get the speed you've opted for. Here's the article for your reference.

http://vrworld.com/2014/06/20/time-warner-cable-rolling-out-300-and-200-mbps-service-july-7th/

Solution

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Maybe your PC only has a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet adaptor, rather than a 1Gbps Gigabit Ethernet one. That would most likely be indicated by the colour of the LED on the modem. I'd be surprised if this is the case in such a recent PC but I've seen it before in "big brand" systems, especially those aimed at home users rather than their "business" ranges.

Run "ncpa.cpl" and double-click the ethernet adaptor to see what speed it's connected at. You can find out what type of chip it uses from its hardware properties, which should help to determine whether it's GbE or FE.