Solved! Constant lag spikes and low performance overall on gaming laptop

Jul 10, 2019
Hi,

I've been experiencing this issue forever and it's really getting on my nerves. My MSI gaming laptop is usually slow to operate with regular programs such at Chrome, however, only sometimes. Most of the time, it works fine. (adding: just pressing the windows button takes a solid minute for the menu to pop up)

However, when it gets to games, oh boy oh boy. I get lag spikes so much, sometimes they last for a second, sometimes a minute.

On CS:GO, my game usually freezes up for a second, setting me at a new position and it ruins the game experience so much because I've died sooo much because I get the lag spikes while shooting or running.

For DayZ, which I got on the 7th as it was my birthday, I get lag spikes that range from 1 second to a solid minute, FREQUENTLY. I can't go over 30 seconds without a lag spike. It's so irritating.

I've got a MSI gaming laptop equipped with a GTX 1050, CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz with 8 GB RAM (7.92 GB RAM usable).

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The prime suspect has to be Windows, especially if it's running version 10. Click on the Windows sqaure on the bottom left of the screen then click on the gear wheel to access Settings. Check Updates and see if in the process of doing it. When it's finished, navigate to c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download and empty that folder. Clear out your Recycle Bin.

Restart the machine then, with nothing else running, go to c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr and right click on it then choose RunAs Administrator. Let the process run - it may take a while.

If that doesn't stop it running clunky, it's worth running MemTest.
The prime suspect has to be Windows, especially if it's running version 10. Click on the Windows sqaure on the bottom left of the screen then click on the gear wheel to access Settings. Check Updates and see if in the process of doing it. When it's finished, navigate to c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download and empty that folder. Clear out your Recycle Bin.

Restart the machine then, with nothing else running, go to c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr and right click on it then choose RunAs Administrator. Let the process run - it may take a while.

If that doesn't stop it running clunky, it's worth running MemTest.

Solution