Consumer Reports Finds AT&T as Worst Carrier

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I don't understand how they can be ranked so low on data...I don't mean to defend AT&T but I've seen several independent tests...I think the most recent was on Engadget...that showed AT&T as having the fastest data service...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I like how AT&T tries boasting itself with "With more people choosing us over any other carrier"... YEAH, people HAVE TO CHOOSE YOU because you have a monopoly on the iPhone, the hottest selling phone for a few years.

You can't boast on how well you're doing when your customer base didn't have a choice in the first place.

What I'd like to see: A report on how many people choose AT&T over another carrier, when they're NOT getting a phone that's carrier locked *eg: iPhone*.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
We didn't need Consumer Reports to realize AT&T is the worst provider. LOL I thought that was fairly common knowledge.

As for the article title: "
iPhone customers are usually happy... unless they are on AT&T
."

Aren't they basically the same thing these days? The iPhone is the only reason anyone should even consider AT&T. And in my opinion, that's not a big enough consideration. Although I think Verizon needs to reduce their calling plan rates (i.e. make them cheaper) I still think they are the best provider over all.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Lat month I did 177 transfers totaling 276 megabytes on my iPhone 4. My wife did 152 transfers totaling 156 megabytes on her iPhone 3gs. Does anyone kow if we are average users?

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
They are theives plain and simple would be great if people were smart enough to boycott the company but that will never happen would love to see them go out of business I get a better signal with a pay as you go phone then i ever did with at&t their muff cabbage

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
You're holding the survey wrong. Turn it around, AT&T is on top! /sarcasm

My iPhone 3g is the slowest it's ever been. I use my brothers EVO 4g a lot, and strictly on 3g service alone (4g isn't in our area yet), the EVO blows my 3g out of the water. It's not like my 3g has always been like this, but for the past year, it's been a dog.

G

I have Sprint and use the new EVO, i did have an AT&T line with a Tilt Phone the service sucked, big time!!! All my buddies who own Macs have iphones with AT&T. I have been getting them all to switch to Sprint after they see how fast my phone is. The two worst companies, Mac and AT&T. Who would want a puppy from that pair?

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Hard data from independent drive tests confirms AT&T has the nation's fastest mobile broadband network

You might very well be the fastest, with ideal conditions compared to the average conditions of others. But I live in the suburbs of chicago (not the middle of nowhere)- and half the time I use my phone I'm on your freaking Edge network. Just because they make have the "biggest map" does not mean they have the biggest coverage of quality service. My contract is up in 1 month and leaving AT&T for good after 5 years.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Does anyone else read this as much more of the same thing we receive when we cancel or service, which abridged translates into "Pound it in your a$$. We own everyone and dont care what any one says. We are AT&T. Resistance is futile"
The sheer arrogance of their response sickens me. Which basically is simplified as follows:
Consumer Reports> You suck.
ATT> No We dont. We're Great.
Consumer Reports> Thats a lie
ATT> So what?

AT&T gets paid just about no matter what, so they dont care. more than 75% of all Verizon calls get routed through AT&T land (Wireline, the "Phone Company", whatever)
thus AT&T is getting paid for the circuits and trunks between Verizons systems. Same goes for T-Mo / Sprint and all the tiny cellular companies. Dont believe me? Wait for some jackass to hit an AT&T fiber line with a back ho and see how great Verizon works then..
Screw AT&T...

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The only reason I have ATT is because everyone I know already has it. If I change, I'll spend more because I'll be calling out-of-network. They just need to reduce costs to a low monthly fee and make it unlimited. This is the 21st century, most people have cell phones, yet it's MORE expensive than it used to be.

Also, texting costs the carrier nothing... so it should be free for us. I can see how the internet would cost more, but it should be no more than $30 for UNLIMITED access. Hell, that's more than my internet at home which gets far more use.

Status
Not open for further replies.