Consumer Reports Finds AT&T as Worst Carrier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I've had U.S. Cellular for something like 13 years (back when they were "Cellular One") and agree that they have excellent customer service. Their phone selection sucks when compared with what AT&T and Verizon have to offer, but the reliability of the service and the far above average customer service makes up for this for me.
Everyone I know that has U.S. Cellular agrees with this too.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Really wish people would understand that alot of that is the iphone itself, it's just a bad phone. Take a look at other smart phones from At&t you don't get nearly as many dropped connections and issues as you do with the iphone. There is also the thing of At&t would like to build more towers esp in urban area's but people don't want it built near them which begs the question to why are they complaining about shitty service.[/citation]

I had no problems with my 2 iPhones (2g and 3gs). But my new Samsung Captivate? FREAKING POS doesn't even like to stay powered on. So far, bad decision on my part.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I've been using Verizon for at least eight years, maybe more. I've had a couple of crap phones, but no service issues or complaints. Yesterday in Batteries Plus it was great to be able to quickly look up the right laptop model for my brother in law, who didn't remember exactly but knew he needed a battery...

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Really wish people would understand that alot of that is the iphone itself, it's just a bad phone. Take a look at other smart phones from At&t you don't get nearly as many dropped connections and issues as you do with the iphone. There is also the thing of At&t would like to build more towers esp in urban area's but people don't want it built near them which begs the question to why are they complaining about shitty service.[/citation]

People don't because what you are saying is incorrect. I work in a company that has offices in every part of the world and we have a sales kickoff every year in Boston. People from all different parts have the the IPhone and non of them have the problems we have in the states with AT&T. O2, TMobile UK, Orange, Telephonica, you name it. IPhone works perfectly fine on the other carriers. AT&T has always had a suspect network and have plenty of dropped calls with other smart phones. Their network is running at extremely high utilization due to the IPhones and other data intensive phones. If you know anyone at AT&T they will tell you.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
The fact is wireless customers have choices and a record number of them chose AT&T in the third quarter, significantly more than our competitors.

Seriously? Which other choice do iPhone users have (without jailbreak, of course)?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Tigsounds[/nom]Data caps are based on a lie.Verizon turned on their so-called 4g this past week, AT&T soon. How nice to use your entire month's data allotment in less than 30 minutes. All these capped providers are drooling over the expected "overage" charges. Everybody should dump their data plans for at least one month and not re-connect until the caps come off.[/citation]

I am not defending the cap but truthfully I live on my phone for the most part. Use it for work. I surf the web, get all my emails from work and my personal account, download applications, watch Youtube everything and I have come no where near 2gig of utilization per month. It comes up to less than 800MB. Although I don't like the cap any more than the next person it does not impact me from a phone perspective.

Honestly I think the cap is really to prevent unauthorized tethering. So if you exceed 2gig they pretty much know that the phone is tethered so they start charging data overages and recoup the cost.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I must be the exception to the rule. Ive had Cingular and ATT for the last 10 years or so and using 2 Motorola flip phones, 2 WinMo6 HTC smartphones, iPhone 3G and now and iPhone4 and Ive never had a problem with their service and cant even remember the last time I had a call dropped. The only time I remember calling customer service was to get my Motorola phone replaced after it was lost. My new phone arrived 3 days later and I found out that my phone was no longer being made when they sent the new updated version of my old phone. I even dropped my Comcast to jump on UVerse when it was offered in my area. Im lovin ATT.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
UVerse is sweet, I have it as well and it is solid but that is a brand new network using all Juniper equipment that was built for that service. The project was called Lightspeed. It is completely separate from their cellular service. You probably live in an area where they have solid 3g coverage. In Atlanta and the surrounding counties their 3g coverage is spotty at best. Verizon is a good bit better, they have an occasional dropped call but nothing as sever as what AT&T has.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I still don't understand how AT&T can claim the fastest mobile broadband network when sprint has wimax/4g, but I guess they can find any niche in the statistics to make themselves look good. All that I know is that where I live, the best options are sprint or verizon. I live in a rural area, and there's times when we're in a more remote area and I'll be getting a 3g signal with sprint and my friends are getting absolutely no service at all with AT&T. So if they ever get attacked by a mountain lion, they won't even be able to call for help while I'll be sending pics to the fam LOL. CDMA carriers ftw and I'll never go with a GSM carrier

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have been with AT&T for nearly 15 years. I switched for a few months during that time when AT&T dissolved in my area. I tried out Alltel and Verizon and within a month I went to 'back' to Cingular. I have had very few service problems with AT&T. If there is even a minor problem with my service I just call and they credit my account. I have had a quite a few phones with problems but they are quick to send a replacement and it usually arrives in 1-2 days at no cost to me. Data caps are crap but I can't complain since I still have the unlimited data package and the best phone on AT&T the Captivate.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I use US Cellular, and have since 2000. They're top in customer service, without a doubt. The only downsides that i see are their offerings for phones usually lag behind the rest of the market, and the total number of phones they offer is low compared to most other providers. Their service is great, coverage is great, and their 3G speed is good (however they don't have 4g yet).

treiz

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
meh, I have AT&T and will never leave. Fastest 3G/3.5G January/4G in July+old unlimited plan+best phones+simultaneous voice and data+great coverage in my experience.

To each his own I guess...

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]totheshed[/nom]US Cellular ranked highest because it's inexpensive.[/citation]
about the same price as sprint I'd say, not extremely inexpensive or anything...

but they have fantastic coverage in most of their areas and a really nice new contract plan

Status
Not open for further replies.