Solved! Controlling Samsung HW-KM45c soundbar with Comcast remote

Jan 13, 2019
I've read a few dozen threads on this topic and a lot of different answers.

Several posters reported remote codes they found to work on a number of different Samsung soundbars including the 45c.

No code I've tried works for me.

I'm using the silver Comcast universal remote and the aux button.

If anyone has experience with Samsung soundbars and universal remotes, I'd like to hear about it.

(I'm aware of the HDMI CEC Arc connection however my tv is not CEC Arc. I'm also aware that if you have a Samsung TV you can use the TV remote, but I don't have a Samsung Tv)

Solution
If your remote doesn't have the correct IR codes preprogrammed in you can't add them. The number you enter to access the codes is just where the codes are stored not the actual codes.
If you get a Logitech Harmony remote it is programmed from their huge online database. If the codes for your soundbar aren't there you are instructed to teach them into their database so the next user will find them. That's how they expand the database. The remote operates your entire system and has macros. Well worth the price.
Jan 13, 2019
I've tried about 20 5 digit remote codes on the universal remote, all supposed to work with Samsung soundbars. Several of them even get the remote to blink twice, suggesting that it is the right code, but so far, none actually work.

It's frustrating because you know there is a code that will work.....just don't know what it is!

If your remote doesn't have the correct IR codes preprogrammed in you can't add them. The number you enter to access the codes is just where the codes are stored not the actual codes.
If you get a Logitech Harmony remote it is programmed from their huge online database. If the codes for your soundbar aren't there you are instructed to teach them into their database so the next user will find them. That's how they expand the database. The remote operates your entire system and has macros. Well worth the price.

Solution
Jan 13, 2019
Sounds right to me. I'll try a used Harmony 300 to experiment . My question is, when I go on the Logitech Harmony site, I see no codes listed.

Any ideas on how to find the codes on tbeir site?

Jan 13, 2019
Also, If I try a used 300 that might not be up to date, will I need a cable from my laptop to the remote in order to update the database in the remote? Do cables come with the new remotes?

Jan 13, 2019
I've tried the logitech harmony 350. I find that it switches on the soundbar and cable box perfectly except that about half the time it doesn't turn on the Sony tv. There is a clear line of sight to the tv and I'm pointing right at it. Even raised the tv about 3" to raise it above the soundbar. Has anyone else had this trouble with the harmony not turning on some devices? I never had the problem with the Comcast remote. I wonder if a Phillips universal remote might do better....