Convert laptop to desktop case for better cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatapoc

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
I know there are a lot of people who already use their laptop as desktop, but my question is different. I have this old (decent) gaming laptop which I used for school and gaming before I bought a macbook and game pc. I stopped using the laptop because it has severe overheating problems. The cpu and gpu are cooled by a copper heatpipe to a heatsink (which I already cleaned more than once), the heatsink is cooled by a single fan.

Because I want to use the laptop as second desktop I was thinking to convert it into a desktop case. If the cooling wasn't a problem I wasn't doing this but in a desktop case there is room for solving the cooling problem and I am not going to use it as a laptop anyway.

I saw this dude trying to fit a cpu cooler from a desktop on a laptop cpu on youtube, which worked very good. (he used toothpaste as thermal paste -.-)

My question is, is it possible to remove the stock cooling system and use a custom heatsink with fan for the cpu and gpu? And would it improve the temperatures much?

Solution

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
it wont really affect temperature if you only put it in a desktop case, maybe only few degrees change. it is possible to remove the stock cooling system and replace it with custom cooling system, but it will probably need a lot of cost and work, might even be not worth it, considering how hard is it and the cost

Fatapoc

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

The motherboard currently is mounted in a desktop case, which doesn't really improve the temperature (I knew that would not change the temperature). I can get a heatsink for the cpu and gpu cooler and I have the tools to make the custom cooling so I think it's worth it. The laptop still has good hardware (cpu: i7-2670qm, gpu gtx540m and 8GB ram) that's why I think it's worth it.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

well it is up to you, if you think it is worth it. for sure make sure you design the heatsink and other things like heatpipe properly. i guess the thing that good enough still is the processor, however it is fairly pretty weak in my opinion, because the base clock is so low and the turbo also not that much great, even the gpu is already been pretty weak, 940mx on most like $500-$600 laptop can even beat it

Fatapoc

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

It will be used as third pc, it probably will be used for browsing internet maybe watch some streams, playing light games and stuff like that. If I want to run the newest games I will use my game pc and If I need to run demanding software I will use my macbook or game pc. But thanks for your opinion.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

some tips to make the cpu a bit cooler, decrease the volt a bit, it can make the temperature lower and make battery life longer, volt decrease you should do depends, the result also depends. for sure my i5-7200u temperature decrease is like 10 degrees max, and battery life increase like 2 hours. you can use software like intel xtu to do that

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.