Converting 4.1 system to 5.1

nadeejalm

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
hey guys!
I have a 4.1 surround sound system and recently acquired a stereo setup which can be connected to my 5.1 supported sound card.
So is it possible to achieve 5.1 surround sound by connecting my 4.1's front speakers as center/subwoofer speaker out and the stereo setup as front speaker out?
;)

Edit:
Realtek audio manager allows me to convert my front speaker to center/subwoofer speaker out. So when I connect my stereo setup I can select it as the front speaker out. Lowest frequency this stereo can play is 70hz.
So my question is when there are low frequency sound effects to play through front left and right channels am I going to miss them, since the stereo is not connected to the subwoofer? Or do all the low frequencies are automatically sent to the subwoofer channel?

Solution
Well for the center channel you will need a splitter cable from the PC(mini stereo to dual mono RCA), one going into the sub and one into your receiver(AUX or tape in)) input for the center channel. Select the correct input on your receiver(AUX/tape or etc) THen wire the one speaker up. Make sure your audio on board software is set up correctly

nadeejalm

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

But I read somewhere in this forum that it's possible; only thing is that topic discussed about adding a center speaker to a 4.1 system.
Realtek audio manager allows me to convert my front speaker to center/subwoofer speaker out. So when I connect my stereo setup I can select it as the front speaker out. Lowest frequency this stereo can play is 70hz.
So my question is when there are low frequency sound effects to play through front left and right channels am I going to miss them, since the stereo is not connected to the subwoofer? Or do all the low frequencies are automatically sent to the subwoofer channel?

To get a "true" center sound you need a center channel speaker.

In terms of the center/sub Realtek, it allows you to "swap output". For example, if you had a 5.1 system and when you plugged everything in, the lows were coming from your center speaker and highs coming from the sub, so you exchanged the channel(swapped) them through the software.

Also, audio surround processors(home surround processors) or maybe some receivers have what they call a "phantom channel" which plays the center channel out of the front mains. In other words converting a 4.1 into 5.1. It works ok but a dedicated center channel works better. The center channel is very important for dialogue and certain sound effects. IMHO, the most important speaker, especially for movies, TV and a little less for gaming.

Since you have an existing 4.1 system and an acquired a stereo system, I would need to know all the info. What existing 4.1, what new 2.0 and the motherboard you are using. It sounds like you have enough speakers(you will need 6 of course) you might be able to have a "true" 5.1 setup.

Happy surround, the Prisoner...

nadeejalm

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

4.1 system is; Creative 4.1 Inspire M4500.
Stereo setup is pretty basic one but here are its specs;
30 watts RMS per channel,
70Hz~20kHz range.
stereo is better than 4.1 system's Satellites.
My motherboard is Intel DG35EC.

So how should I connect them to achieve true 5.1?

Thank you for the information you provided.

Ok, I'm a little confused. The stereo set up is just speakers or an receiver with speakers? It could be a language(miscommunication) problem when I see someone says I have a stereo, I assume at least a receiver and two speakers. Now if it is just two speakers, the speakers need to be powered by an amp, unless they have an amp built in. So without this information I can only guess on how to connect the speakers.

PS: Model of the stereo speakers?

nadeejalm

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Yes there is a receiver. I connect the two speakers through this receiver. Only problem is this receiver is an old one. (I can adjust bass, tre- I have no idea what that is:??:, and volume from this receiver) So there are no any options like "phantom channel".
Only thing it can do is get a line in from the pc and playback. :(

Well for the center channel you will need a splitter cable from the PC(mini stereo to dual mono RCA), one going into the sub and one into your receiver(AUX or tape in)) input for the center channel. Select the correct input on your receiver(AUX/tape or etc) THen wire the one speaker up. Make sure your audio on board software is set up correctly

Solution