converting from digital 8 camcorder to vcd

jjchen330ci

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2002
Hi, expert user please help me out.
I use sony digital camcorder shoot an video clip when I was on the trip in taiwan. I would like to convert the video clip onto vcd and send to some of my friend instead dubb them on the VHS tape.

well, seems like no matter how I try. I can't get the quality of my vcd up to the quality as on the VHS tape !!!!
I think I must done some wrong but I can't figure out what I do wrong.

my system configuration:
PIII 800
256mb pc133
asus 7200 Geforce2 GTS
2 9.1GB SCSI HD 10000RPM
1 80GB 7200RPM ATA100
SoundBlaster Audigy Platium

I use ulead video studio 6.0 and record the clip in avi 780 x 480 at 29.9 fps. each of the clip is 30min long and than convert them into vcd format (352 x 240 30fps).

well, for some reason, the image is bad. block show up a lot.... seem like I just can't get it right.

Any infor would help or any other way you guys think I should do.

thank in advance

JJ CHEN

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I'm kind of guessing here, as i dont use Video Studio, but...
The problem is either one of two things:
1) The encoder you are using isnt very good, or
2) You are expecting too much from the VideoCD format.

1) - For this, what i would do is not to encode into MPEG through Video Studio, but to simply export the DV file directly 'as is' (ie AVI) onto your hard drive.
Then, encode using a different encoder such as the bbMPEG encoder (also does MPEG 2 as well as 1) which i have found to be ok, or if you can pay, the Panasonic MPEG 1 encoder is very good in my opinion.

2) For this, if you are able to make a working VideoCD (and i find Nero burning ROM to be excellent)< make a test VCD and play it on your TV. I find that there is a marked visible difference between what i see on my PC and what comes onto the TV, and this is for a wide variety of reasons (graphics card, monitor capability etc).
Bear in mind though, that VideoCd isnt DVD, and although i like it, it's not directly comparable to VHS quality, and some friends of mine (not into video editing) view it as rubbish.

Let me know what happens

The spirit of Monkey was ...... irrepressible

jjchen330ci

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2002
Hi mursemsic,

thanks for your input.
I will take your sugguestion and try other mepg encoder.

also, I did try it before with nero burner 5. I record the clip in DV 780x480 30fps and drop in nero burner and convert them into vcd. well, no sound and picture is bad... I did that twice... and come out of same thing. that is why I end up use ulead video studio which do record, convert, and burn in the same program.

well, as now, about 10 ~ 15 cdr is down to the toiler.... and keep trying....

I will post here as soon as I have update for it....
Sign.... I thought converting to vcd is easier than dubbing on the VHS..... >_<

JJ CHEN

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Nope, making VCD's (using PCs anyway) is definitely NOT easier than VHS recording, but if you wanted simplicity you would buy a black box, pay loads of money, and have it under your TV.

Now that i think about it, that sounds like a bloody good idea!!

Anyway, back to the point. We computer folk are a hard working bunch, never one to try to take the easy path, always looking to improve on ourselves.... etc etc

The point, if i can get to it, is that using your PC is more rewarding when you do finally achieve what you want to do. Making a VideoCD is very hard, but from what i'm learning, making DVD's is even harder!

If you do want more, specific advice, let me know.
One final thing :-

What i do is edit in my software (i use Premiere), encode through it using a seperate 'plug-in' encoder, and save that MPEG1 or MPEG2 onto my hard drive, then at that point use Nero to burn it. I personally wouldnt use Nero to encode.

The spirit of Monkey was ...... irrepressible

G

Ya, i've the same problem with the resulting vcd termed rubbish by friend. i'm using pinnacle studio (the basic one).
i've another problem, pinnacle studio crashed my pc while i'm editing my home movie. well, no big deal. But since then what ever mpeg movie i played on my computer (including from commercial vcd) the movie is shaking, nomatter what player i used (Xing, Window Media Player, Quicktime).

Any help to fix the problem is much apprciated.

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Shaking? How so?
I'm thinking if maybe this might be a problem with your display, like maybe change the Hz of your monitor through your graphics card.
Is this the sort of shaking you mean? Or do you mean 'earthquake' ?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>

G

hi jjchen - i also have sony digital 8 camcorder(DCR-TRV320), i'd like to ask for some help. i've made a new computer last week and added a pci firewire card which came included with ulead videostudio, but i couldn't get the thing to work yet. i've tried to use premiere 6.0 also, but had no luck on that one either. in premiere, i can control the buttons such as play, pause, but i don't see any visual or sound, and when i press record the message shows that device driver is not found, when i have the correct one. i've spent a week trying to figure out what the hell i have to do, but so far no luck...
well i'd like to know some settings on your computer so i can find out what i have that's wrong. perhaps someone who had similar problem can help me too. thank you
i have
1800 + athlon xp / kt3ultra 333 mobo
256ddr 2100
40gb hd
elsa g force 2 gts 32mb (up to date driver)
direct x 8.1
divx 5.01 (got it from downloads.com)
adobe premiere 6.0
some cheap firewire card i got from a computer convention
: i can control the main buttons on the camcorder so i think it's working.....
very desperate to fix this problem please help me. thank you!

s