converting laptop from 32 bit windows to 64 bit windows

occupypeace

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
Hello all,
I have an old ( year 2007) HP DV6000 special edition ( copper brown) laptop which I use while traveling. When I bought it I had upgraded it to 4GB RAM but since it is 32 bit it uses only up to 3GB RAM. The guy who upgraded it never told me this though! Now I am thinking of formatting the system and I wish to install windows 7 64 bit and Ubuntu on it. My question is whether I can use 64bit windows 7 on it? Would it be compatible? Would I have problems when I install/update drivers? My processor is. Intel core 2duo T5550 1.83ghz

Many thanks in advance

Solution
install your windows & see what drivers are missing or unknown then post back here so we can link you to the correct drivers. I have both the intel chipset & realtek hd audio drivers for different versions of windows on my utility flash drive as I do repairs & upgrades for a living.
Hi,

If you'll be doing a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit then it won't be a problem and it will install like a regular operating system. About your drivers you'll need to download and install them again which should be for a 64 bit Windows and it should work just fine. :) I've also checked HP support site but they don't supply drivers for Windows 7 so that might just be the only problem you may face but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to download the drivers individually from their manufacturers site.

occupypeace

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
Thank you laptop-Nerd. In case i encounter a problem while installing 64bit, will I be able to go back to 32 bit? sorry this question may sound a bit silly but I have done formatting only once and that too was few years ago on my desktop (AMD processor). While formatting, would it give me an option for a clean-install?

I have another question, does 64 bit would make some difference or should I just stick to 32 bit? I have 4GB RAM on my HP pavilion laptop.

Thanks again for your time

occupypeace

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
This is what i found from typing esc+fn key: Product Number: GS058PA#AB0
Product name: HP Pavilion dv6500
Processor: Intel core 2duo T5550 1800 MHZ

the serial number and product name I have on the laptop case is totally different from the one I found inside pressing esc+fn keys! For instance on the laptop it says pavilion dv6000 instead of dv6500

greatly appreciate your help

occupypeace

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
Thank you, none of the laptops from the list looks like my laptop though :) Mine was HP special edition with a unique copper brown color. Anyway since it is 64 bit I will give it a try if I can get the drivers. Thanks very much confirming that it supports 64 bit.

ffg7

Splendid
install your windows & see what drivers are missing or unknown then post back here so we can link you to the correct drivers. I have both the intel chipset & realtek hd audio drivers for different versions of windows on my utility flash drive as I do repairs & upgrades for a living.

Solution

occupypeace

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
I have manged to install windows 64 bit on my HP laptoo. Ran SlimDrivers and updated all the missing drivers. Everything seems to be fine. few questions though;

1: I don't see much difference in terms of performance but it could also be due to the dust accumulated inside the laptop. Are there any reliable tutorials which shows how to get rid of the dust? I do not want to end up breaking my laptop.

2: My DVD drive is still not working. I have done trouble shooting but it doesn't show any error. Device manager doesn't show any yellow exclamation mark. When I click on the dvd sign it opens but nothing happens when I insert a disc it ejects on its own and asks me to insert a disc. I was wondering, is it the migration from vista to windows 7?

3: My start up seems to be taking more time. I have stopped some unnecessary programs like cccleaner from the startup process. Still it is taking more time to boot.

These are of-course minor issues, overall I am quite happy with the 64 bit OS on this old laptop

ffg7

Splendid
is not a migration from vista to windows 7 that caused the dvd drive to stop working because as you said it is an old laptop. can use a can of air carefully to cleanout any dust bunnies that might be in your laptop. what program do you have running in your startup?

occupypeace

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
Hello ffg7, Thank you your reply. At the moment, the programs I have in my startup are, NVIDIA backend, Realtek HD Audio Manager, Windows OS, Avira, Avira product family and Bluetooth software. I tried to disable Avira product family but it is not letting me. so I will have to do it after turning my Avira off, I guess.

Thanks again.