Converting LPs to CDs

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
What do I need to accomplish this. I would assume an LP player that connects to the computer, and software to help differentiate tracks, but I don't know. Could someone help me with this?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
This is a good place to start. I'm planning on doing after we move but did some research about a year ago and found there are some turntables that connect directly to the computer, they have a built in amp so you don't have to run them through a receiver, which would definitely make life a lot easier and they cost around $100 or so. Sorry, didn't save the info but if you google, you find some of these turntables. If I remember correctly, Circuitcity sells one of these if you're in the States. There is a lot of software out there some of which claim to create a new file after a pause for a certain length but have no idea of well any it works, could check reviews. The problem is that if you don't record each song as a separate file, you're going to have to create the files after you ripped them otherwise each album will be a single files and this is a time consuming pain in the a$$. Again there is a lot of software that will do this. Once you get it set up would really be interested in knowing how it goes.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/FromVinyltoComputer_StepByStep.aspx

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

Exactly what I was thinking of but make sure it's self powered, don't want it running off the USB. Not sure how good the software is for separating files but all of these turntables come with software and if you don't like, can alway get something else.