Cooling Pad/Fan doubt

amy7mbs

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
I am using a Dell XPS 15 series laptop with a 9 cell battery which is huge. Will I be able to get a cooling pad or fan and actually be able to use it properly.
For those who don't know please google "9 cell laptop battery", and see the size.
Thank you!

Solution
I'd recommend downloading and running HWMonitor or similar, and checking your temps. Record your CPU and GPU temps, then get a can of compressed air and thoroughly cleaning the intake and exhaust vent, paying special attention to the copper cooling fins just inside the exhaust vent. The more dust you can remove, the cooler your laptop will run. You should see a measurable difference before and after.

If it's running too hot, even after blowing it out, you might consider replacing the thermal paste on the heatsink. That's a bit more involved and it requires removing the backplate and heatsink, but not particularly difficult. You can google "thermal paste laptop" - there's a ton of youtube videos available that you can watch to get...

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
With a plastic cased laptop, I've found that just propping up the back @ 1/2" can give the same level of cooling improvement as a cooling pad simply by making it easier for the internal cooling system to draw air in.

amy7mbs

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

I've been doing the same thing.
But when I play high end games for even more than 15 minutes or so, it becomes so hot, and due to the temperature the laptop starts to crash/

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I'd recommend downloading and running HWMonitor or similar, and checking your temps. Record your CPU and GPU temps, then get a can of compressed air and thoroughly cleaning the intake and exhaust vent, paying special attention to the copper cooling fins just inside the exhaust vent. The more dust you can remove, the cooler your laptop will run. You should see a measurable difference before and after.

If it's running too hot, even after blowing it out, you might consider replacing the thermal paste on the heatsink. That's a bit more involved and it requires removing the backplate and heatsink, but not particularly difficult. You can google "thermal paste laptop" - there's a ton of youtube videos available that you can watch to get an idea of how it works.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Solution