Copyright Alert System Now Up and Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]cocogorilla[/nom]https[/citation]

https would still allow the URL requested to be visible... anyone going to the RL (If it's not password protected) can verify the identity of the content. Encrypted VPN using a provider that does not log activity is your answer...

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Instead of counting strikes and threatening with massive lawsuits, can't they simply throttle for 30 days if there is a copyright notice? Fair "punishment" for the crime, and also negligible effect for falsely accused. Some people might know they are downloading and when the notice comes and subsequent throttling, they are not surprised. Some other people might decide to live with the effect and not go on and secure the wifi. Some might go around and fix holes in their computers, scold their children, change wifi password. And switching carriers is always an option if one is firmly believing they are not doing anything illegal.
But, no throttling without the associated notice. There should be no excuse for lazy ISPs that won't upgrade their network. Talking about cable here, not cellular data and limited spectrum.

Dec 31, 2001
I do not condone breaking copyright law; however, they are invading the privacy of the individual. They are doing the equivalent of wiretapping without a court order and this is just as illegal if not more so! I am not surprised Verizon is the worst of all the ISPs. Of course, in these times and our current leadership, anything goes these days and individual rights are only protected as long as they don't conflict with the "bought off" state!

Dec 31, 2001
How are the ISP monitoring this? If I download tiny, random file fragments from 40 different users around the world on Monday. From 30 different users on Tuesday. And from 70 different users on Wednesday. My ISP keeps track of all the fragments to/from everyone... and which order they might be reassembled in... and finds: "Wow! This could be pasted by together as a copyrighted movie!" (Millions of different users... each with countless file fragments... sometimes taking days/weeks/months to reassemble.)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]anonymousGirl[/nom]How are the ISP monitoring this? If I download tiny, random file fragments from 40 different users around the world on Monday. From 30 different users on Tuesday. And from 70 different users on Wednesday. My ISP keeps track of all the fragments to/from everyone... and which order they might be reassembled in... and finds: "Wow! This could be pasted by together as a copyrighted movie!" (Millions of different users... each with countless file fragments... sometimes taking days/weeks/months to reassemble.)[/citation]

your isp can be seen in a cloud of data looking for other infromation.

lets say you get the torrent for a movie, and start downloading, you are only downloading parts of that movie... your isp is seen they send a message.

you use a vpn, they will roll over on you more often than isps.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The entertainment industry needs to learn that such draconian policies only hurt their bottom line. More than one study has found that the people who pirate the most buy the most. The only reason they're able to get away with illegal wiretaping like this is that the companies running the ISPs are generally the same one's worried about copyright.

Do I illegally download stuff? Yes. But I also have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Pandora accounts. The only time I'll "pirate" stuff is if I can't find it on one of these services, which is quite a lot. Maybe if I had access to the content I want when I want maybe I would have to "illegally" download it. I'm obviously willing to pay for it, piracy tends to be more hassle than it's worth.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
sounds liek an excuse to download a whoel bunch of freeware and copywrite free works just so somebody has to comb that stuff and find out you did nothign wrong... job creation !

Status
Not open for further replies.