Cord Cutting Dilemma: Should You Keep Cable TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Do you even have a choice? I have cable TV because it's cheaper to bundle with the internet. I would pay more for internet alone. Remember these are the same lines that are so congested that they have to nickle and dime us over bandwidth, but apparently I can consistently be sent packets of dozens of channels I don't watch.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
What you can't beat is NO COMMERCIALS for your entire show and on demand whenever you want. Netflix alone has so much tv my retired parents can't watch it all...ROFL. They are currently going through a list of shows that are already over (fringe right now, felicity already, mcleods daughters already etc). They have no patience now for waiting for next season, and commercials are against our whole family's religion these days. I will not give you 18 minutes of my time every hour of TV. I can never go back to cable, just like I can never go back to a single monitor. That is over.

Roku, Playon, Netflix is about all we need but I have other options that add to those. :) Hulu didn't make it past a week for us (commercials? Really? for paid? and so much WEB ONLY crap). My parents occasionally watch the rabbit ears for news but its rare. They get ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc on the ears (about 20 channels OTA they get). I see no need for cabletv ever in my life again...ROFL.

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I haven't had cable for 3 years now and haven't regretted it for even a second. I don't watch sports, don't miss commercials, and can avoid all the bullshit reality crap. Netflix works for me when I want to watch something.

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
"Cord cutters also miss out on breaking news"

I just noticed this on a second glance and let me just say holy LOL.

Yeah I am really missing that breaking cable news because I somehow haven't heard of the internet.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I installed and antenna a few years ago and I have never looked back. The ONLY downside is that I cannot get ESPN for sports - but I am not going to pay $100 a month for ESPN. Most of the major sports events for Arizona (where I live) are carried over the air (except for the Phoenix Suns, but I don't watch that team anyway).

I have the Hauppauge 2250 HDTV tuner and I use Windows 7 Media Center. I can record two programs at once and my HDTV picture rivals cable in quality.

If you do cut the cable make sure:

1. You get a good monitor / HDTV. A poor monitor will give you a subpar HDTV picture.

2. You get the correct antenna - the wrong kind will not receive clear signals.

3. If you are running off of a computer, MAKE SURE you get a good GPU. A cheap PSU will give you a really bad HDTV picture.

4. When you connect your antenna cables make sure that you install the end connections correctly and firmly tighten all of the connections.

5. Make sure that you are in an area where you have a strong over the air TV signal. Rural areas can have problems with reception.

6. If you are using a computer, make sure you get a high quality tuner. I recommend the Hauppauge 2250. It has two separate tuners and does a good job processing the OTA signal.

rzacconi

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Well I have just started my quest.. into the abyss. Lol. .. I am tired of satellite t v and thehigh cost ... Thank u subscriber's for the point in the right direction ....Cut the cable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS