Core Temp causing PC to freeze/crash?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hi everyone!

Ok, as the title suggests, I ahve a problem with Core Temp. Basically, my PC had recently started freezing shortly after logging into windows, and after checking the Task Manager, it was always at around 47-50 seconds up-time. I couldnt figure out what was causing this, but then I noticed that one core of my CPU would be running at 100% before the freeze. (The actual core differs, but is normally cores 1 or 2) After noticing this I clicked onto the processes tab and changed the ordering into CPU usage, highest to lowest, and it turned out to be Core Temp that was causing the issue. I had selected the option for Core Temp to start with windows, and so obviously for some reason this would cause a crash 9 times out of 10. I have now disabled the automatic startup for Core Temp, and have had no problems since, and can start Core Temp manually at any point without any problems.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what actually causes it? If possible, do you know a way to fix this? (I like Core Temp to start immediately, as I have logging enabled.)

Thanks for any help!

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
I have'nt actually, I'll try this later on when I get home. Thanks for the advice, I dont know why I didnt think of this myself. =P

FYI, I am running Windows 8, so I suppose it could just be a compatibility issue? Although im pretty sure my friend also has Windows 8 and Core Temp and it starts up just fine.

Kaiwanichi

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
That could be the issue. I'm running Win 7.

I couldn't find the date that they added in the Win 8 compatibility so can't say which version supports it. I do know the latest one does support Win 8 though.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Maybe it is compatibility then. Or maybe it is just a courrupt installation file. I'll re-install tonight and see if that works. if not, like I say it works fine when I start it manually, so I suppose I can cope with that for now. =)

Diegolas

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

i got 2 pc with coretemp running on both. 1 is with AMD gpu and the other with nvidia. the 1 with nvidia got no issues with freezing at startup while the pc with amd gpu like in your first post also had a freezing issue at startup.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I have this issue with Windows 8.1 and it is Core temp R6 version that is freezing. when i run it after install it lags really bad then i can't do anything and have to hold power to shutdown. I might try running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode, but i've downloaded it twice in the last month and both times same result so i won't get my hopes up.

I basically did a google search for the problem and i'm glad it's not my computer.

Trompochi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

I'm having the same problem, win8.1 Pro 64bit, when I try to open core temp CPU jumps to 99% usage and I can't do anything, I have to press the restart or power off the PC...

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

Supprised to see another post on this thread after so long! Ha ha!

I'm still having the same problem with Core Temp crashing my PC after about 40 or so seconds into Windows. Same as yourself, CPU usage jumps up to max. I have tried re-installing it several times, and each time it seems to be working properly for a couple of boots and then just starts crashing again. I have just gotten into the habit now of opening Core Temp manually after a couple of minutes. (Opening it manually after booting into Windows still crashes the PC =P).

FYI, I'm running Windows 8 (i.e. Not 8.1) Pro 64bit.

Trompochi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

After core temp I tried speedfan but thats much worse for me, there is a problem in how speedfan reads the storage info when intel rapid storage drivers are installed, it causes instant BSOD, they just dont like each other. If I uninstall those drivers I can open speedfan, but then all my HDDs appear as removable devices.

For now I'll be using HWMonitor, it just works and gives me the info I want.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
HWMonitor is an OK second to CoreTemp. Try using an older version if it is causing problems. I have a fuzzy memory of this happening to me a while ago, think I just kept trying different CoreTemp releases until one stopped bugging out. It could also be that CoreTemp isn't playing nice with your display drivers if you are running any attached desktop gadgets. Try updating your display drivers?

InisVanadiel

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I just had this problem today while playing around the BIOS, found out that if I disable the CPU throttling features (C1E, C3/C6) CoreTemp doesn't crash anymore; whenever I put those back on Windows 8 freezes. Hope that helps.

atidus

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
I used to render by corel videostudio last month , After that I use some software like core temper or HW monitor. my computer had crash or freeze in that time (random). I had install window 8.1 many times to detect my problem (becausse I just bought a desktop). I think the issues come from this tools and gadget (CPU monitor - Top process). my advice , Use your computer for max setting for rendering,gaming and see the max temper that computer got.....finally delete all those tools. Set priority for a paticular program also leak to crash or freeze.

CedarD

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
I too have this problem. Core temp interferes with the task bar, the window buttons and anything file explorer related, etc. Eventually I need to restart. Going to uninstall Core Temp.

Win 8.1 64 bit, i7-5930K, MSI X99S Gaming 7.

Zarrasis

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014

Just happened to me too lol.