Costs and Requirements of starting up a server

Charlie A

Estimable
Mar 20, 2016
Hi there,

I'm interesting in setting up a web server for a basic site in future, and would like advice on what components I would require and which components are the best value right now. Or should I buy something prebuild or use a virtual server?

I'm looking at minimal traffic initially, no more than 100 users online at any time and I don't have the need to store lots of user data. There will be videos and SoundCloud audio on the site so that might factor into RAM.

Also, what are the running costs involved in a server setup?

Much appreciated.

Solution
For a WebServer i would strongly recommend you rent a server in the cloud, and host your website there. This allows you to grow your bandwidth as the site becomes more popular, as well as utilising the free tools that typically come with these packages as well as ensuring (kind of) you have no downtime and are regularly backed up.

The alternative, allowing 'the internet' access to your home network has its risks (not insurmountable) but the admin overheads and the breadth of knowledge required to use this as your first website seem like a worse option than the above.

MikhailCompo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
For a WebServer i would strongly recommend you rent a server in the cloud, and host your website there. This allows you to grow your bandwidth as the site becomes more popular, as well as utilising the free tools that typically come with these packages as well as ensuring (kind of) you have no downtime and are regularly backed up.

The alternative, allowing 'the internet' access to your home network has its risks (not insurmountable) but the admin overheads and the breadth of knowledge required to use this as your first website seem like a worse option than the above.

Solution

MikhailCompo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Also, if you do want to go down the route of doing everything in-house yourself, i suggest cross posting on different forums and asking specific questions about the different aspects;

Ask on broadband related forums about using your own internet to host a (commercial?) site, you might be breaching the T&Cs which most consumer BB.
Ask on HW forums about what HW for your first build
*Definitely* make your questions clear this is a WEBSERVER, as 'server' doesnt really mean anything, any computer can be a server.

Good luck! :)