Solved! Could someone tell me how to find the ?helper shortcut on my Toshiba laptop?

Apr 9, 2019
Hello, I have a very old Toshiba (Satellite 645series) and it had this "helper/shortcut" rectangle thing(forgive me I'm not the most tech savvy and am not sure of the terminology) hidden on the side of my screen display that if i touched the edge of my cursor would open to full-size (meaning the Toshiba rectangle with icons) and i could just click on it. In a moment of distraction, I closed it rather than "hiding" it back and do not know how to re-open/where to find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, suggestions of how to find/fix it are welcomed. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Solution
Dear Titan,

Many thanks for your quick reply.. what is the startup group/ systems tray? I will check for it. I don't know if it was a program, but it was a shortcut .. for things like the webcam, settings, etc.. it prob did do just as u said things that can be done several other ways, but unfortunately I am likely to be unfamiliar with all those multiple other ways. This just would be right on the screen automatically.. like it there more for convenience and my comfort.. If the other ways are relatively easy and painless, I would like to know them if you don't mind sharing that info:) more than one way to a destination..

p.s. what is the actual name of it? ...so I appear a tad more knowledgeable--or at least less ignorant;)
Rebooting it did not bring it back? Did you check the startup group or the system tray for anything running there that looks like that utility.

What did that program do? Most of those utilities did not do much, or just did what you can do in several other ways.

Apr 9, 2019
Rebooting it did not bring it back? Did you check the startup group or the system tray for anything running there that looks like that utility.

What did that program do? Most of those utilities did not do much, or just did what you can do in several other ways.
Dear Titan,

Many thanks for your quick reply.. what is the startup group/ systems tray? I will check for it. I don't know if it was a program, but it was a shortcut .. for things like the webcam, settings, etc.. it prob did do just as u said things that can be done several other ways, but unfortunately I am likely to be unfamiliar with all those multiple other ways. This just would be right on the screen automatically.. like it there more for convenience and my comfort.. If the other ways are relatively easy and painless, I would like to know them if you don't mind sharing that info:) more than one way to a destination..

p.s. what is the actual name of it? ...so I appear a tad more knowledgeable--or at least less ignorant;)

Last edited:
Dear Titan,

System tray is the area by the clock in lower right where programs that are running in the background like utilities are. Need to check through what is installed in All Programs and in that area to see what is running or installed on the system. System settings are often in the Control Panel, or in utility programs from the computer vendor, which would be installed and seen in the program list.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS