Court to Debt Collectors: Stay Off Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Pay on time and then you don't have to worry.[/citation]
not really. I happen to have an incredibly common last name. It hasn't happened to me yet, but my parents have had issues where debt collectors get identities wrong and have gone after them even though it was somebody else with the same name that was delinquent.

Imagine having that sort of thing happen to you when it wasn't even you and how embarassing that would be. I'm pretty sure my dad actually had to go so far as put in a motion to have the debt collectors license revoked due to how horrible that company was. I for one am glad this ruling was made. Debt collectors are scum bags and low lives of the same level as patent trolls, litterally, they buy debt for the purpose of collecting on it.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Now they need to enact laws to protect those of us that get calls from debt collectors trying to locate former residents.... I get calls from debt collectors trying to locate the former residents constantly...and after being told repeatedly that they're calling the wrong number, they decided to call at 11:45pm lastnight....

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Now they need to enact laws to protect those of us that get calls from debt collectors trying to locate former residents.... I get calls from debt collectors trying to locate the former residents constantly...and after being told repeatedly that they're calling the wrong number, they decided to call at 11:45pm lastnight....[/citation]

I'd block that phone number and any other they use to call from.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]Debt collectors are scum bags and low lives of the same level as patent trolls, litterally, they buy debt for the purpose of collecting on it.[/citation]
They actually try to get people to pay back debts they have incurred? Isn't credit payback an option based on whether you feel like it, or have an excuse? These companies pay money to assume debts and then think they have the right to collect money to pay it back and thus stay in business? The nerve!

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Pay my bills on time, and I still get notices that the bill is late. I use snail mail though so I have a papertrail if I ever have to back up what I say.

Desertlax

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]not really. I happen to have an incredibly common last name. It hasn't happened to me yet, but my parents have had issues where debt collectors get identities wrong and have gone after them even though it was somebody else with the same name that was delinquent.Imagine having that sort of thing happen to you when it wasn't even you and how embarassing that would be. I'm pretty sure my dad actually had to go so far as put in a motion to have the debt collectors license revoked due to how horrible that company was. I for one am glad this ruling was made. Debt collectors are scum bags and low lives of the same level as patent trolls, litterally, they buy debt for the purpose of collecting on it.[/citation]

I have a pretty common name. many years ago my brother had debt collectors calling to collect some one else's debt. Thing was he was only about 6 or 7. They refused to talk to my parents and got really aggressive until lawyers got involved. Then they just said "oops wrong person". I think it'd be much more reasonable if there was the opportunity for wrongfully harassed people to get some kind of retribution from the collectors.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]I don't know where (or if at all) you have a full time job; but debt collectors DO serve a purpose.In my opinion the scum bags of the earth are the people ordering from my company (where I'm a controller) and never end of up paying. We're talking upwards of 100k a year, and we are a relatively small company. I sympathize with you're parents position, and yes it sucks, but for the most part the scum bags are those people who want something for free. (read between the lines, STEALING)[/citation]
While it is true that sometimes they get the wrong identity b/c of common last anmes and so on. The real problem is certain invidual's living beyond their means and ultimately bringin it upon themselves. I wonder if they know that if you just talk to the debt collection agency you can settle for as low as pennies on the dollar if you just work it out w/ them instead of the cowardice you see and hear of. I do sympathize with those that get wrongfully collected on, but that is a smaller minority than the majority of cases.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Yes, I do have a full time job, excellent credit, never late on any payments. EVER. I'm not a snot nosed kid, I'm actually a 29 year old professional, so please don't infer that I just have a grudge because they've gone after me or my family fairly.

And in response to lamorpa, somebody with your name made threats against me, does that mean I can have you arrested and file criminal charges? They have the right to collect the debts, yes, but I do believe they have the obligation to...I don't know, make sure they're trying to collect from the right person. But then again, I guess in your simple world, that's unreasonable. Since they don't make sure they're going after the RIGHT PERSON, and the tatics they use against the WRONG PERSON have driven them to suicide, yeah, I'd say they're scum bags and low lives. Please present anything to refute my opinion.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]I'd block that phone number and any other they use to call from.[/citation]
$3/month to block calls from specific numbers + $3/month to block calls from "restricted" or "private" numbers.... Not sure exactly what industry you work in, so I hope I don't offend you, but I work in the automotive field and thanks to our great economy (plus being tax time), money is really tight. I'm already having a hard time paying bills and can't really afford an extra $6/month just to block collectors.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Being a former debt collector I can say a few things here:

Blatant disregard of the FDCPA is a fineable offense that ends up with not only the company collecting able to be sued, but the individual collectors.

If you are:
-Receiving calls outside of the hours of 8AM-9PM (and that's YOUR local time, not the call center's)
-Getting another call within 24 hours of telling someone not to call back (you have to say it yourself over the phone, not someone else or an answering machine)
-Getting multiple messages left by the SAME collector in a 24 hour period
-Or the collector tells someone other than you, your spouse, or a co-signer (w/ the exception of the Carolina's, spouses aren't allowed to know in those states) about the debt
-Or when you are on the phone with them the message (given either by a rep or automated system) "I must inform you that this is an attempt to collect a debt, and all information obtained will be used for that purpose"
You can sue for the annulment of the debt plus extra.

The are people who abuse these laws however to sue themselves out of their debt, leaving many companies no other option but to take a kamikaze position and get as much cash as possible before someone sues them for the tiniest loophole, which leads to super aggressive collectors having to meet as high a goal as possible.

And as someone who talked to these debtors, I was not the asshole type, it's not in my nature, and that's why I never did as well as some of the hardcore collectors, but to be honest, I have heard every damn excuse about why people can't repay the debt that they incurred, and its jaded me. Example:"I'm on social security" "How long?" "7 years" "You got this card 2 years ago, ran it up to its $3000 limit and never made one payment, all the while aware you were on social security, and agreed to make payments on the card regardless of that fact" "..." And yes, that was a VERY common occurence.

There are also the cases of people coming over here from other countries, opening multiple lines of credit, and after they run em all up, run back to their countries. These are called plastic millionaires. And no, you are not required to have a social to open up a line of credit, you can use a taxpayer ID number (like greencard folks have) and run crap up to your heart's content. Lots of people from the middle east do this (based on statistics, not stereotypes).

The bastards that were the worst, the ones putting their kids on the phone: (What sounds like a 4 yr old girl)"Hewo?" "Hi there, is your mommie home?" "Nooo..." "How bout your daddy?" "No..." "Brother or sister?" "No..." "A babysitter?" "No..." "Honey are you home by yourself?" "No..." "Well who's there with you?" "My mommy..." "Can I talk to her?" "She said if I let you talk to her she'll beat me again..." I promptly called their local CPS and police, with the recorded conversation. I get a call an hour later "You asshole! They're taking away my daughter!!" "Well now that I have you on the phone, lets talk about the $8000 you owe me!" (in my head "You scummy bitch!") That's the crap that we had to deal with.

Honestly, I don't miss it, but I'm grateful for the experience because if I ever get a call from a collector I know how to cover my ass.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
if the police can use it, it's fair game to every one else.
i am surprised facebook is not suing mark one or advertising to debt collection agencies to subscribe to their service.
a cousin of mine was only 3 months old when my aunt and uncle started getting calls from debt collectors over a car "he" had bought. that was back in 1985 identity theft wasn't just big when you put your details on a computer or in the internet.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I can see why this is such a useful way to contact those that skip out on payments, but then there are serious privacy violations if everyone started doing it.

However, just pay and you're good. I wonder why people can't live within their means.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]There's a couple of debt collectors underneath my floorboards.Haha jk OR AM I??!!!Haha naww seriously jk OR AM I?!!?one[/citation]
roflol, that was awesome :D

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Well, gee, maybe if we taught home economics in the schools again, we could put some debt collectors out of business.

Nah, it'll never work.

Status
Not open for further replies.