Solved! CPU and GPU underperforming significantly Asus GL702VSK ROG Laptop

Oct 12, 2019
Hi All,

So I bought this pc about 2 years ago, when i first purchased it I was getting over 100fps in games like overwatch on high settings.

But recently randomly booted the pc up and the Fps has significantly dropped I can barely acheive 10 fps on high settings, even if I lower the setting this doesn't help much.

I have tried Installing new drivers, re-installing windows, using optimization programs.

I don't think the issue is with temps either as I'm only getting about 70 degress C on both cpu and gpu on intensive games.

I have also noticed when I first boot up the PC and run a game it runs perfect but then soon after it drops.

I've scanned for malware also and there is nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ.
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB GDDR5)
  • Display: 17.3”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS + G-Sync.
  • Storage: 256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD.
  • RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4.
  • Weight: 2.90 kg (6.4 lbs)
  • Windows 10 Home
Benchmarks:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20930300

Solution
You say you scanned for malware, but did you also scan for viruses? They aren't the same and most programs don't really scan for both.

Additionally, have you checked to see what is running in the background when this occurs? Over time, as you install things and as programs are updated, many things wind up running in the background that you never knew were there.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Going into the following program can have very bad consequences if you make the wrong changes. So be extremely careful and do not change anything without being certain it will not cause issues. If you don't know what a program listed is or does, look it up before making any changes.

Try going to "Start" and in the search type "msconfig" (without the quotes)...
You say you scanned for malware, but did you also scan for viruses? They aren't the same and most programs don't really scan for both.

Additionally, have you checked to see what is running in the background when this occurs? Over time, as you install things and as programs are updated, many things wind up running in the background that you never knew were there.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Going into the following program can have very bad consequences if you make the wrong changes. So be extremely careful and do not change anything without being certain it will not cause issues. If you don't know what a program listed is or does, look it up before making any changes.

Try going to "Start" and in the search type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Click on that in the list of items (it is usually the only thing listed) and in the window that loads click on the "Startup" tab.

Avoid the other tabs.

In here you want to check for what programs are starting up when Windows starts. The only programs you want to consider changing are those you installed yourself. Once you have unchecked whatever programs you don't want to auto start up then click the apply button. You should get a popup letting you know the changes will require a restart and you can do that now or wait until later. Better to do it right then. When the computer restarts, those items should no longer auto start.

This will free up resources that would have otherwise been being used and causing slowness and issue.

Should this not help, then you may be looking at a motherboard issue.

Solution