CPU for laptop gaming

bnpifer

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I have read the buying guide and understand that for gaming you need a dedicated graphics card and at least 4meg RAM. Assuming I have a dedicated GPU and at least 4 meg RAM, what CPUs can I get away with and be able to run WOrld of Warcraft while listening to music at same time without lagging,etc.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I have read the buying guide and understand that for gaming you need a dedicated graphics card and at least 4meg RAM. Assuming I have a dedicated GPU and at least 4 meg RAM, what CPUs can I get away with and be able to run WOrld of Warcraft while listening to music at same time without lagging,etc.

As far as CPU's just find a Dual Core AMD or Intel what ever your motherboard supports, but you should make sure the Dual is at least a 2.6 cause I mean CPU's or so called Dual Cores are getting so cheap right now that a AMD athlon II x 2 @ 3Ghz is only about 65 US Dollars with Heatsink and Fan included.

You can run WOW on what this site recommends:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6164252/index.html

bnpifer

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
4MB RAM ?! are you sure it isn't 4GB ?
For running wow,you won't need a high-end system,you can run it well with a good mid range card with 2gb/4gb RAM and a CPU like Intel Core i3/i5 or AMD equivalents

Yes I meant GB, thank you. what is equivalent AMD to I3? Would I3 be significantly better then Core 2 Duo X6800 2.93ghz?

bnpifer

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
This is a laptop I a looking for. Is the Core 2 Duo x6800 2.93ghz and the AMD Athelon II X2 3.0 ghz for only pcs? I cant seem to find any laptops with those CPUs. If only for PC then what would Laptop equivalent be??

bnpifer

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
was looking at system reccomendations for playing World of Warcraft on Gamestoppers and they suggested that you needed those CPUs as a minimum in order to rune WOW properly. Obviously they were refering to a PC not a laptop. So now I need to know the equivalent for laptop...

saaiello

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
was looking at system reccomendations for playing World of Warcraft on Gamestoppers and they suggested that you needed those CPUs as a minimum in order to rune WOW properly. Obviously they were refering to a PC not a laptop. So now I need to know the equivalent for laptop...

LOL look any new laptop should run WOW.

So IMO look at an I3 or an AMD x2 either one will run WOW with no problem. WOW does not need much power to run so just about ant decent laptop that is made with exception to netbooks will run WOW.

bnpifer

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
what is major difference etween a I3 330m and an I3 350m?

"EDIT By Maziar"
The FAQ filled:
1_What is your budget? $600

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15 inch or larger

3_What screen resolution do you want? best available for price

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? 6 cell or better

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? yes. Word of Warcraft high setting

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) listening to music while playing wow and occassionally some word processing

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 500 or better

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years or so

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. asus,dell,hp, toshiba. Dont want Gateway, Acer

13_What country do you live in? USA

First i saw that you filled the FAQ in the wrong thread so i edit your post with the FAQs that you filled.
The difference between the CPUs is that i3 350m is 100MHz faster.

With that budget its hard to find a good laptop with a good VGA,the options i found have Intel HD graphics which is weak for gaming.

bnpifer

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I have been able to find an ausus K52Jr-X2 for around $750 and a Dell Inspirion 15 for around $700. Both have 4 GB RAM, both have 15.6" LCD Monitors(the Dell says it is HD), the Asus has 640 Hard drive and the Dell 500, the Asus has I3 350M while the Deell has I3 330M CPUs, the Asus has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics with 1 GB while the Dell has 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 GPU. Dell has more software and webcam which I dont need. I believe for the $50 difference the Asus is a no brainer, do you agree?