RuBn1986

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
So i just bought a Helious 300.
i5 8300h
1060 6gb
8gb ddr4
512nvme ssd

The issue is, that when gaming, the cpu randomly lowers its clock speed to 800mhz, this is regardless of the temperature. I have tryed stock voltage, lower it by 0.115v and everything it up to date, and set to performance mode. There is NO thermal throttling. It is plugged in at all times. This really ruines gaming for me, since i am unable to play anything pvp related or competitive. The laptop is less than a month old.

A video i recorded a few minutes, describes the issue.

https://youtu.be/R2M_E15ntS8

Solution
Your specs are so far above the minimum requirement for wow that it should run fine in power saver or on battery too. Even if it works, changing the power options or reducing the minimum processor, gpu, and ram states would only be a temporary solution because something is forcing it into its c-state. You could try disabling speed-step, as that can sometimes cause a similar issue. However, I still just recommend going the manufacturer route since it is new.

If you ordered any upgrades in the laptop like a better cpu or gpu, then you might double check that their default charger is sufficient for them. I had a similar issue where I upgraded to sli, but the default charger they sent me was only rated for a single gpu.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Your ram, gpu, and cpu are all downclocking to their minimum states for some reason. It is not just the cpu. I would contact the manufacturer and have them troubleshoot it or send you a new one. There is absolutely no reason for a new laptop with specs like that to not be able to run WoW out of the box.

devbiker

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
What is your Windows Power Plan set to? Is it Battery Saver? Or Balanced/Performance? Do you see any changes in behavior if you change the power plan?

RuBn1986

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I didnt even notice that since you said it. But yes, something is deffently wrong here. Im beginning to suspect that it might be the power supply that is either faulty or just to weak, its 19,5v 9,23A, so about a 180 watts. Oh man, they are gonna hate me at that store, its the fourth laptop in two months that im gonna send in/return.

RuBn1986

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

I have set everything to performance - so it should run as fast as it can, at all time. Its always plugged in.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Your specs are so far above the minimum requirement for wow that it should run fine in power saver or on battery too. Even if it works, changing the power options or reducing the minimum processor, gpu, and ram states would only be a temporary solution because something is forcing it into its c-state. You could try disabling speed-step, as that can sometimes cause a similar issue. However, I still just recommend going the manufacturer route since it is new.

If you ordered any upgrades in the laptop like a better cpu or gpu, then you might double check that their default charger is sufficient for them. I had a similar issue where I upgraded to sli, but the default charger they sent me was only rated for a single gpu.

Solution