CPU overheating, new fan and thermal paste.

robertynwa

Estimable
May 16, 2015
My laptop is overheating. I have installed a new fan and replaced the thermal paste .. still overheating !! ..

IDPT check passes everything until the "CPU stress test" when the laptop shuts down, overheated.

IDPT check shows temp at 40C below max .. but .. the "core temp" shows 90C just before shutdown.

Unable to disable EIST but set the power setting to performance. (when I ran the IDPT at "balanced" or "power saver", the IDPT fails at "CPU frequency test".

I am also using a cooling stand. And the BIOS is up to date.

Please help.

lukej92

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
Your CPU may be on its way out.
How long have you had the laptop for?
Have you tried taking everything off again cleaning the old thermal paste off and re applying?

Neutr1n0

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
Are you sure its overheating? If so it must be bad mounting then. Cpu's dont just start overheating with age... they can suffer degradation though till the point of malfunction and causing bsod.

btw you shouldn't disable speedstep. Saves battery... use aida64 or similar for (thermal) stress testing.

robertynwa

Estimable
May 16, 2015
"core temp" shows 90C just before it shuts down.

speedstep not disabled, no bios option.

I've had no bsod's.

I will try the aida64, can't do any harm and I've tried everything else.

This problem has stumped everyone on every blog ...

That I don't know. But if the integrity of the seal on the pipe has somehow been compromised, the fluid would evaporate over time and render the pipe pretty much ineffective. It IS a rare occurrence, but it does happen.

The best place to look might be ebay for used ones specific to your model of laptop. Hopefully cheap and easy to find.

Good luck!

robertynwa

Estimable
May 16, 2015

OKAY ... As a last resort I ran my laptop inside a freezer, (-12) ... It ran for 10 minutes before the "core temp" program showed 91C and then it switched off.

The laptop itself was not hot so why did the "core temp" show 91C.

It's not a "cooling" problem so it must be somehow sensing an incorrect temp reading and protecting itself by switching off.

This is one crazy laptop ...