Solved! laptop overheating even after cleaning and reapplying thermal paste

Jun 23, 2020
my laptop is overheating even after cleaning cooler, heatsink, and reapplying the thermal paste, it's an old i3-390m and it only overheats under heavy load, 70%+ cpu usage and it gets VERY close to t junction, the t junction for this cpu is 90°c and under heavy load it reaches 88°c and starts to cut down performance so it won't damage itself, with normal use like browsing the web the temperature is stable around 65°c

edit: before reapplying the thermal paste i only cleaned the cooler and heatsink and the throttling was very bad, according to aida64's test it reached 70%, now when running the test the throttling is about 3, 8%
and one other thing, after reapplying the paste i tested it and it was normal, no throttling or overheating, but a few hours later it started to overheat and throttle

Solution
I don´t think it´s throttling after you reapplied the thermal paste.

This laptop model has a Tjunction of 105°C (BGA CPU)
The 2,59GHz might be a misreading

use hwinfo or coretemp

This CPU is a low performance version, which can handle simple tasks. Might be normal for it to not get the things done quick enough, if under heavy load
Jun 23, 2020
Which laptop is is exactly?

Does the fan spin if it´s getting hotter?
To which frequency does it throttle?
it's an LG A410, the fan spins as it gets hotter, the max frequency of the cpu is 2,67 ghz, depending on the throttle it goes to 1,6 ghz, but it's rare, generally the throttle isn't so bad, it goes down to 2,59 ghz most of the time

use hwinfo or coretemp

This CPU is a low performance version, which can handle simple tasks. Might be normal for it to not get the things done quick enough, if under heavy load

Solution
Jun 23, 2020
m

use hwinfo or coretemp

makes sense.
thanks!!